Spoiled eaters - Danios and black skirts being picky

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShawnKC

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have zebra danios and black skirt tetras and I was feeding them Tetra Min and Spiralina flake food and then I picked up some frozen brine shrimp and used them for every third feeding. Now they almost ignore the flake food and go nuts for the brine shrimp.

Fish Food

I have zebra danios and black skirt tetras and I was feeding them Tetra Min and Spiralina flake food and then I picked up some frozen brine shrimp and used them for every third feeding. Now they almost ignore the flake food and go nuts for the brine shrimp.

Hello S...

That's a good thing! Fish are smart. They know what's best for them. Frozen fish foods are much more nutritious than the flaked and freeze dried kind. Just check the ingredients. I'll bet the dried and flaked has a list as long as your arm. The frozen will likely have just two: The frozen animal and water.

You don't need to be a fish dietitian to know that processing adds chemicals to foods. The chemicals are mostly preservatives, so the food will last a long time sitting on the shelf next to your tank.

The only time I don't feed frozen is when I run out of it. Then, I'm forced to feed a little flaked. That's rare. The key to healthy fish is feed a combo of frozen brine or mysis shrimp, blood worms and plankton. Feed a little a couple of times a week and only what will be eaten in a minute or two.

The fish will like the frozen so much, they'll always be foraging around the tank for a leftover. Your fish will stay trim and live a long time. You'll get the added benefit of a very clean tank.

Just a couple of thoughts.

B

Thanks for the reply and info "B". I went out and stocked up on frozen shrimp and bloodworms. Whatever is best for the fish. I also have a couple of flame gouramis and when they see the net hit the water they know it's feeding time...lol.

Feeding Fish

Thanks for the reply and info "B". I went out and stocked up on frozen shrimp and bloodworms. Whatever is best for the fish. I also have a couple of flame gouramis and when they see the net hit the water they know it's feeding time...lol.

Hello again S...

Go easy on the frozen. You don't need to go broke just feeding the fish. Fish in they're natural living places are lucky to eat once a week, so we should do like nature does and feed a little.

I have larger tanks and feed four, small frozen cubes just two times a week. Just drop them in, no need to cut them up. Some of the food will fall to the bottom and your bottom guys like Corydoras will get their share.

I mix the cubes and the fish really get excited on feeding days.

Pretty simple.

B

Back
Top Bottom