sponge filter mod for purigen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grumble69

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I have this filter here in my 10g tank:

Amazon.com: Aquarium Biochemical Sponge Filter Fish Tank Air Pump XY-2821: Pet Supplies

It's been working just fine. My ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates are just fine too. But I've been tempted to make a mod to my filter so that it can use purigen bag to polish my water of tannins.

Google hasn't been real helpful. I've seen folks contemplating putting it beside the filter or stuff it in the filter. ...has anyone attached like a small canister device to the output tube before? I imagine if it had holes, it could act as a diffuser as well. Good idea? Bad idea?

Don't know about that filter as I don't have it but if you just want to clear the water of tannins could you buy a cheap (maybe even used) hob just to run with purigen for a while.

Most of the time tannin production decreases over time anyway so maybe you only need a temporary thing?

Yo bro it will go away with water changes it may take a couple months but why waste money on that or if you can't wait Just MacGyver it by using a rubber band and put charcoal in a media bag and rap it around the top. (cheap) BOOM!

Purigen is better, way better then charcoal. I would do like libertybelle said and seek a small filter. It will pay off in the end

Yo bro it will go away with water changes it may take a couple months but why waste money on that or if you can't wait Just MacGyver it by using a rubber band and put charcoal in a media bag and rap it around the top. (cheap) BOOM!

That is pretty nice and straight forward. I'm going to try that first. A small back-up filter is a possibility, but I just like mod'n things. :)

Yes it is capable of removing tannins even though it's main use is to remove nitrogenous waste. It has an added benefit of water clarity which in turn removes the tannins. Carbon is faster at removing tannins but doesn't last as long

I would suggest that you buy some purigen and a very fine mesh bag which you can usually find at brewing shops for about $2.

You can put a miniscule amount of purigen in the bag, cut the bag to make a large rectangular sack, and then use hot glue to seal it shut. After that just slide it inside the lift tube for the sponge filter. It's going to need to be very loose in the tube or else its gonna restrict flow.

Back
Top Bottom