Spotted Bulldog Pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeyGeeze

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all

Last night i went shopping for a pleco at the LFS, a chocolate bristle nose to be exact. When I arrived, my decision became much harder because they had TONS of fancy plecos! Every color and size I could imagine.

After I looked them all over I decided on the one labeled rubber lip pleco. It was tiny and grey with spots and I figured since I'm quite new, its more common so I can find info on it. I've now realized that I have a spotted bull dog pleco and I dont believe it's temp requirements match my tank. I have a 46 gallon with 10 tiger barbs and an albino male kribensis. I keep the tank at 78 and it looks like the pleco needs cooler water. By no means do I want it to be unhappy, nor do I want to make my current fish unhappy by dropping the temp. Is this something they can adjust to? Or, is this not a possibility an he has to go back to the store? Today he/she hid all day behind a cave, but that's quite normal I assume since they can be shy and are nocturnal for the most part. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

are you sure it was named rubber lip? another common name for a bulldog is rubber nose so it would be a common mistake to confuse the names, i just did a quick search on temperature for you and i think you will be fine :)

a.tetreault said:
are you sure it was named rubber lip? another common name for a bulldog is rubber nose so it would be a common mistake to confuse the names, i just did a quick search on temperature for you and i think you will be fine :)

Yea I remember it was rubber lip because it was sucked against the glass with huge lips lol. Thanks for looking into it. I believe its "L" name is l187a, judging purely off the pictures i found when searching. Grey body with black spots. He/she seems to be ok, when I turned off the lights tonight it came out from the cave and is currently cruising my glass for algae. It's a cool looking pleco so I'd like to keep it but of course don't wanna risk any problems or stress to the fish. Thanks for the response!

78 is on the high end for this one, but should be OK. Tank bred specimens will probably do better at the higher temp range than wild caught.

siva said:
78 is on the high end for this one, but should be OK. Tank bred specimens will probably do better at the higher temp range than wild caught.

Ok good. Hopefully it's tank bred, it's quite small. He hides most of the day in and on the cave so hopefully it's ok. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom