"spotty" black algae on live plants and rocks and

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yvonne

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a four month old 65 gallon freshwater tank. 140 watts of coralife brand florescent tubes (plantgrow version). I live in a county with incredibly high PH (uncontrolable with PH control products) and really hard water. No CO2 put in. I have tested Nitrates and they are fine. So, why all the weird "spotty" black algae? Everywhere: on rocks, in veins of plants.

Some of the leaves are now starting to get yellow, brown on tips. Not sure what is up.

I do have bubbles becuase I really like the look.

what to do?

When you say the nitrates are fine what do you mean? The nitrate levels should be between 5-10 ppm in a planted tank. You also need phosphate levels in the 0.5-1.0 ppm range. Potassium levels should be in the 10-20 ppm range. Are you fertilizing the tank? And why no CO2?

When I say nitrates are fine, I mean that I used a kit and it tested in the safe range according to the directions on the kit (do not know the numbers off hand).

Are there tests for Phosphate and potassium levels?

I am fertilizing tank. Twice a week with trace minerals.

No CO2 cause I'm scared I'll kill the fish :?

There is a test kit for phosphates. There is one for potassium but it's pretty worthless. If you are not dosing potassium then I doubt you have adequate levels in your tank.

Are you dosing iron? And if you have very hard water it would be hard to get enough CO2 into the water to harm the fish.

What size is your tank?
What are your tap water pH, kH, and gH?

Thanx for all the info. Looks like I'll have to get some test kits to get to the bottom of this. If the potassium kit is worthless then how do I test it?

My tank is 65 gallon. I only have a few plants in it right how cause I'm trying to get the environment correct before going further.

Would it make sense to measure both my outside non-softened tap water and my indoor softened water and see which is a better water to start off with?

I do know that before I softened my water the PH was so high it was literally impossible to get a test off it. It was off the charts (even after dumpting a couple bottles of PH down into it).

I'm thoroughly confused at this point....

I am putting in a mineral supplement for plants twice a week.

You don't test for potassium. You dose the tank to around 10 ppm and then dose water changes to 10 ppm.

I have finally gotten the tests and can give you numbers on my acquarium:

The water in my tank currently tests at:

PH: 8.4
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 5-10 ppm (closer to 5)
Nitrite: 0
GH: 304.30
KH: 232.70
I haven't been able to test for Potassium or Phosphorus yet. All the stores around here keep telling me it is not necessary so they do not stock it.

65 gallon tank, 120 watts of PlantGrow Coralife. Filtered through carbon filter. I do not add CO2.

How does it look? My water is clear but I have alot of bright green algae appearing on glass; plants/rocks have black spotty algae and some plants seem like they have rusty/white/calcium looking scars. Some leaves are curling up.

How do I get this under control? :?

do have bubbles becuase I really like the look.

I assume you mean a bubble wall or airstone? You MUST get rid of it. It will drive off all the naturally occuring CO2 in your tank, so your plants are starving for carbon. Get a decent Co2 set up, and you plants will give off their own pure oxygen bubbles (pearling) which, IMO, is waay better than a bubble wall.

To reiterate, a planted tank and an airstone will NOT work together.

Ok, like I have said there is not a good test kit for potassium. But you do need to get a phosphate test kit even if you have to mail order it. Are you adding any fertilizers to the tank now?

corvuscorax said:
do have bubbles becuase I really like the look.

I assume you mean a bubble wall or airstone? You MUST get rid of it. It will drive off all the naturally occuring CO2 in your tank, so your plants are starving for carbon. Get a decent Co2 set up, and you plants will give off their own pure oxygen bubbles (pearling) which, IMO, is waay better than a bubble wall.

To reiterate, a planted tank and an airstone will NOT work together.

I've gotten rid of my airstone and wold like to get involved in CO2 injection. Any recommendations for a cheap/safe one? Preferrably with some sort of level indicator?

Back
Top Bottom