Spray bar/pump flow, heater, and lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thumper_65590

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone, been looking and searching, and I haven't been able to find the information on here that I have been looking for. I have a 55 Gallon Osceanic, drilled with overflow, and a 20 gallon wet/dry sump freshwater setup. I system has a Little Giant 2-MDQ-SC pump that flows 510 GPH @ 1'. I have approximately 2 ft of 3/4" tubing going up to my return line, My return is 2' of 3/4 PVC, with a 6" ball socket return, for a total of 4 ft 6 in. The flow coming out of my return is massive. I have neon tetras, mollies, platy's guppies, and a few glofish in this tank. Bioload at this time is 14 fish) It's not planted at this time, but it is something I have considered doing sometime down the road. Now that I have to background out of the way, would a spraybar help cut down on the current some? If so, should it be made from 1/2 inch, 3/4 inch, or 1inch PVC. 1/8 inch holes, or should I go a little bigger? My next question is, My tank stays at 74.5 to 75.1 degrees without a tank heater. Should I get a small one and put in the sump to raise my temp up to about 77? If so, what heaters are recommended? My final question is for lighting to make the Glofish, neons, and guppies colors stand out more? It uses the really small diameter florecent tubes in the fixture. It has 4 lights, and from what I can see, they are all daytime bulbs. I got the light bar separate from the tank. (gotta love thrift stores, flee markets, garage sales, and craigslist lol) Thanks for the help, and I will try to get some pictures posted soon.:thanks:

A spray bar should help spread the flow out.

For lights if you swap to one red light and one blue light to go with the daytime white lights this should help with colours. I'd put the red light at the back of tank so you "see" the white and blue lights which most people prefer. I'd keep the old tubes just in case you get algae as it sounds good at moment.

Sorry for taking so long to reply, been a very busy time at work and with the kiddos. I am going to put in one colormax bulb, one actinic, and 2 daylights. Hopefully this will make the colors pop. On a side note, wifey let me buy a new aquarium. Its a 210 gallon oceanic. 7ft x 2ft x 2ft. Planning on making this one a freshwater as well. Not sure what I am going to put in it yet though, lol. I will be picking this tank up this Friday, then hopefully getting it set up the following week to start cycling it. Any way to speed the cycling process up. It is drilled and bulkheaded, and I will be running a 50 gallon sump with it. Thanks again, William

Back
Top Bottom