Sprung a LEAK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EMS503

Aquarium Advice Freak
My 75 gal. reef sprung a leak last night. Luckily I had a 29 gal. sitting around and was able to borrow another 29 gal tank from Sleeplesslwd.
I moved all coral and fish to another tank and all my LR and about two thirds of the LS. The rest was really dirty. I don't see any tank cracks in the bottom were I believe the leak is, So I am assuming it is a silicone joint. This tank is 3-4 years old. I was told to get rid of it as it may develope another leak even after I repair it. Before I buy another tank I wanted to get some opinions. Fix it or replace it. :cry: :?: :(

Well nothing is worth risking when it comes to keeping fish, so personally, I'd get another tank ( money permitting obviously ). 3 - 4 years is a pretty good innings for the tank and if you couldn't get rid of it, you could always get a new one and keep it as a back-up / quarantine etc.

Good luck !

oh no

does this happen every 3 or 4 years

I'M SCARED 8O

Impossible to say how long a seal will last. I'm currently sitting next to my 20 gallon that is at least 11 years old, never leaked or resealed. I have had others over the years that sprung a leak and had to be resealed. I have no idea why some stay good for a long time and others may leak eventually.

I would reaseal the tank, personally.

I vote for a reseal. Of course if your not willing to take the risk I know of a certain fishfreek in VA that would gladly take a leaky tank off your hands ;)

Course its not worth driving all that way for it.. :(

My 2 cents worth... (Two Canadian cents = 1.2 US cents)
I'd reseal it. I see no reason that a reseal is any less effective than the initial factory seal.

Is this tank glass or plexiglass ?

Making glass aquarium repairs.
http://saltaquarium.about.com/library/weekly/aa050200.htm

Parts List & How To Repair Small Leaks.
http://saltaquarium.about.com/library/weekly/aa050200b.htm

How To Repair Small Leaks in 9 Easy Steps.
http://saltaquarium.about.com/c/ht/00/07/How_Repair_Small_Leak0962933581.htm

I hope this helps.

glass

I don't know that much about aquariums, but I know a bit about glass. If the leak isn't stemming from a crack in the glass, I would definately strip the seals and reseal it. Much cheaper than buying a new 75 gallon!

If it's plastic, maybe I'd buy a new glass one...

Good luck!

Did you buy the tank new? All Glass Aquariums (assuming it is an all glass or a oceanic) has warranted there tanks for 7 years since at least 1996, maybe earlier than that. I would contact the manufacturer, and if possible get a new tank for free. If it is not warrantied I would reseal. Brfore you get too worked up, you need to find where it is leaking from. Is there any auxilary equipment that it could have been? Overflow maybe?

Oh yeah, since it was a reef that leaked, I'm moving it to the SW general discussion forum, but I'll leave a shadow here, cause leaking tanks are available in both FW and SW.

Back
Top Bottom