Sssea's 29g Upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sssea

Aquarium Advice Freak
I thought since this is my first upgrade, I would start a new thread so you guys can help me out.

I currently have a 10g stocked with 3 juvenile fancy goldfish that I got before I researched proper tank sizes. They started out at about 1/2-1 inch each. My panda and black moors are just under an inch and my oranda is almost 1 1/2. Now that they're growing up, I bought a 29g tank for them. (I know I might need a larger tank in the future, for now I'm very religious about biweekly pwcs.)

Here's my plan for transferring these little guys (thanks to Eco!):
-build stand (done!)
-use all gravel and established media from 10g, plus more gravel as needed
-put est media behind new media in filter
-use all large rocks and dw from 10g
-treat as a fish-in cycle until tank stabilizes

I got the 29 used off of craigslist and have run into a little snag. While giving the tank a good scrub, I noticed a layer of what looks to be dried algae on the inside of the glass (picture included). I have been scrubbing it with a wet scrubby pad for almost an hour and have gotten nowhere. I know I can't use soap to clean it, but is there any way to make this easier?

Thanks for the help, guys! I hope you enjoy watching my tank come to life!

Attachments

• image-3673113382.jpg
    image-3673113382.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 93
  • image-3066970467.jpg
    image-3066970467.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 88
  • image-2186032005.jpg
    image-2186032005.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 88
Also, is there any reason I need a lid on this tank? Are goldies known for jumping out?
I'm moving to an apartment in 2 months and would like to use some cute lighting over this tank as it will be the centerpiece of our livingroom instead of a tv.

Anyone... Bueller? Bueller? Lol.

Problem solved with cleaning the tank. Its crystal clear and stationed in its temporary home. Going to lfs tomorrow for gravel and some prime since I've run out.

Any opinions on the lid/lighting?

A top is not needed. It prevents some evaporation but that is easily handle by topping off. If the tank is not planted then the lights are up to you. You only need them when you want to see the fish.

rich311k said:
A top is not needed. It prevents some evaporation but that is easily handle by topping off. If the tank is not planted then the lights are up to you. You only need them when you want to see the fish.

Great news! Thanks.
Will low light plants be able to grow with just normal cfl bulbs in a lamp? I don't have a green thumb, but would love to have a few real plants.

I have some amazon sword in the 10g right now that the nibbled a bit at first, but now they seem to leave it alone.

Attachments

• image-4186824248.jpg
    image-4186824248.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 91
  • image-2495179601.jpg
    image-2495179601.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 85
My happy little goldies are now in their lovely new home.

Attachments

• image-3308256691.jpg
    image-3308256691.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 82
A quick update:

I've been doing daily 10% pwcs, everything seems okay.

2 of the fish seem pretty normal, hanging out at the bottom a little more than usual though, eating alright.
My main concern is that my black moor has been swimming around in fast forward. He doesn't seem very interested in food and doesn't come to the front of the tank like he normally does.
Testing the water tomorrow, I'll let you know how it goes.

Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom