Staghorn algae & java fern

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

onebettanewbie

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 5.5 gallon tank. It's been set up for about a month and a half with one betta. It's fully cycled with ammonia 0, nitrites 0, and nitrates stubbornly 20. The PH is a steady 7.8. The water is hard but I don't have accurate readings for it. It had some of what I think was brown diatom algae. The tank has a 14W "aquarium" fluorescent light. It was on for ten hours a day and I just cut it back to nine. The water is conditioned with Prime and I don't put any other chemicals in the tank.

Last week I realized Staghorn algae was growing from the leaves of my 3 java fern plants. I took them out, cleaned off the algae, gave the plants a bath in 1 part bleach to 19 parts water, rinsed them, and now have them growing in conditioned water in a separate container. My question is, does Staghorn algae tend to grow on java fern? The plants are pretty sad looking, and have been since I bought them, with brown spots and now holes in them from cleaning off the algae. I kept them because they were just starting to grow healthy new leaves.

The tank also has 2 anubia, which are healthy and growing new leaves, and some wisteria which is also healthy and growing new leaves and roots. If I put the java fern back in the tank is it just going to grow more Staghorn algae? Would I be better off getting some other plant? A crypt of some sort perhaps? I am not going to install a CO2 system. I had one in the beginning and it caused the PH to drop. The plants are there for the betta so I don't want to experiment with dosing with Excel. I want easy to care for plants that help keep the water healthy.

So, to summarize, would a different variety of plant be less likely to grow Staghorn algae? Any other adjustments I should make to avoid algae in general? I'd really appreciate your advice.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom