Stained glass?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OwlnTigger

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All,

I have several pieces of cut stained glass remnants from a pile of stained glass at my grandfather's old stain glass business. There are probably about 25-30 pieces total with all different colors and shapes. The glass is about 3/4 inch thick. I was thinking about creating a cave for my Convict and his future girlfriend. Any tip, ideas, or recommendations on how to do this? I was thinking of using clear silicone to make a sort of rectangular lean-to.

I think that could work... but doesn't some stained glass, especially older stuff, contain lead and or other heavy metals? You don't want to leach any heavy metals into the tank. I could be way off on that though.

fort384 said:
I think that could work... but doesn't some stained glass, especially older stuff, contain lead and or other heavy metals? You don't want to leach any heavy metals into the tank. I could be way off on that though.

+1 I'm pretty sure to achieve certain colors you need lead, magnesium, potassium, and other elements so I wouldn't use it unless you speak directly to someone that has first hand experience in glass making

Mrc8858 said:
You could seal the glass though to be safe

I never thought about lead! Wow, glad I asked first. I really don't want to risk it. My grandfather purchased glass from all over the world, so there is no telling about the heavy metal content. Thanks guys!

Back
Top Bottom