Star Polyps Spawning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phases99

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I had no idea Star Polyps and other corals release eggs into the water to propogate. My tank has been been going through a burst of life in the last few weeks but I never expected this one. Anyone see this before? My camera never would have gotten a good shot but it looked like the picture below from this article. I hope my tank will not be overridden by these.
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-06/eb/

:hat:

I just saw an awesome show about corals on INHD. they showed acropora from an island off of Fiji spawning. All coral spawn at the same time on the same night of the year. Once the eggs meet that form this little swimming creatures that attach them selves to a rock. It was really cool.

Cool Pic :D

My capnella spawns eggs, I always thought they were air bubble attached by some goo, but then I saw on the internet, a pom pom xenia spawning, that looked like how my capnella does. My capnella closes, then there are these clear air bubbley looking things attached to the capnella by goo string.

Edmonton Eskimo said:
That is cool. I have gsp and they haven't done that yet. They do grow rather quickly though.

I was fortunate that it happened when I was at home. Yours could have already and you didn't even know it. I'm wondering if I will see little one's popping up or more likely they got sucked into the skimmer.

I read somewhere on the net that some off the eggs can develop into little GSP in a month or so. I'll report back if I see anything.

Back
Top Bottom