"Starry Night Eel"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AGaggleOfNibbas

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, this weekend I have purchased what was sold to me as a "starry night eel." It is maybe 4 inches long but only 2-3 mm in diameter. Very very small. I was wondering if anyone had any info on how to feed a fish this small. It has basically hid behind a pot for the entire time i've had it.

The foods i have are frozen brine and blood worms, I don't know how to get the food down to the eel.

The eel is currently in a cycled 10 gal (Don't worry, I have a window behind the tank that needs to be replaced which is the only reason it is in a 10 gal. After the window is replaced in a week or two it will go in a 20 gal. By the end of summer it should be in a 50 gal.) pH is at 8.3 and temp is somewhere around 76° F. There is a single sponge filter and a variety of plants inside the aquarium along with small terra cotta pots piled in the corners to provide cover. There is a light on top which i run 6 hours a day and is strong enough to grow plants.

I am not entirely sure of the species but I think it is a Mastacembelus frenatus. I found some info on this website: Starry Night Eel (Mastacembelus frenatus)

Thats about it, basically all I need to know is any tricks on feeding this sucker.

Thanks for any help I recieve.

Limited Success

Basically I tried putting bloodworms in a small cup and placing it at the base of the eels hole. When I woke up in the morning the cup was moved around and around half of the food was gone. This could always be a nerite snail or something bumped it but i'm slightly reassured. The eel has come out more now and I got a long video of it. I think they only need feeding once or twice a week so when I fed two days later the food was untouched. Now I'm at the point where I can try again tonight and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom