Start of a new 10 gal !!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tomchong22

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so This is my gf tank that we turned into a full saltwater tank. So far we r about 2 weeks in and everything is going amazing. Ammonia we r keeping at a steady 4 with 2 cocktail shrimp a green spotted puffer and a crab. The funny thing is the crab is a full fresh water crab that we got from Walmart when the tank was freshwater. We acclimated him and the gsp for about 4 days and wa la he is now saltwater. Here r some pics of the tank. Let me know what u think.

Attachments

• image-2479393955.jpg
    image-2479393955.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 176
  • image-101639609.jpg
    image-101639609.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 150
  • image-50562373.jpg
    image-50562373.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 140
  • image-3578534831.jpg
    image-3578534831.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 146
  • image-1494362650.jpg
    image-1494362650.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 151
why are you killing those creatures keeping the ammonia high? why not cycle the tank and then add livestock?

I 4got to add we r doing 50 percent water changes every day. The ammonia never gets to above 4 and that is right b4 the water change. After the Chang it goes down to 0. I would never hurt then. The cool thing about the gsp is they change color based on how stressed and happy he is. If his belly and his stress line turn black it's not a good sign. Also he has a neon green spot on top of his head that glows when he is happy. So far everything and everybody is extremely happy.

Fiddler crabs need access to FW, and SW AND air. He's going to drown like that....Also the gsp is going to get too large for the tank. Also what is the SG of that tank. GSP are not true salt water fish and shouldn't be housed in full salt...

Oh btw. Both fw and sw puffers love to eat crunchy things..snails, shrimp, clams and....crabs.

I would never hurt then. The cool thing about the gsp is they change color based on how stressed and happy he is. If his belly and his stress line turn black it's not a good sign. Also he has a neon green spot on top of his head that glows when he is happy. So far everything and everybody is extremely happy.
wow...a real live fish whisperer! :confused:

the fact is, you are hurting the fish and the crab by forcing them to live in a toxic environment.

Everything you're doing is cruel. Don't expect to come here and be applauded for it. You'll only receive negative reactions.

Edit: I didn't, in fact, advise anything. My advice? Take all inhabitants out of the tank, fishless cycle. Research your inhabitants first, don't mess around with their requirements, just provide them. Don't get anything you can't provide for, and aren't knowledgable about.

Okay, I'm just curious, not being mean, but did you do ANY research at all before setting this up? And if you did, WHERE DID YOU GET THE INFO THAT THIS WAS OKAY?! This is very cruel, I can't imagine how those fish are still alive. Don't be surprised if they die... I think these fish need to be rehomed until you know more about these saltwater fish. Then you can try again if you do your proper research.

Damon Salvatore is awesome. Enough said.

Well we shouldn't be so mean here people. Whats done is done and he is trying to keep the ammonia down by doing the daily water changes. It was not a smart move by any means but maybe he didn't know any better. The tank has been running for two weeks so its possible the cycle is near finished and hopefully everything will live.

Tomchong you should really listen to what everyone is saying about how to keep the puffer and crab. I have no idea how to care for either but it would suck if the poor crab is drowning...or if it gets eaten by the puffer once it grows bigger

I think we all need to be a little easier on Tom. Yes, he has made some fairly dire mistakes in setting up his tank. But chastising him isn't going to rectify the situation or encourage him to become a more knowledgeable aquarist. Instead we should be offering guidance, and solutions.

First off Tom, congrats on your new setup. It looks like a good and I can't wait to see how it progresses. Although I would like to address the issue of your ammonia. 4ppm is well over a safe amount, and is unnecessary to complete your cycle. Doing a fish-in cycle is a lot of work. You may want to return your tank inhabitants to the local fish store and continue with a fishless cycle. It's slot easier and faster than doing a fish-in cycle.

If you do intend to continue with your fish-in cycle you are going to need to do your best to maintain an ammonia level of 0ppm. I know this sounds counterintuitive because you need ammonia to grow nitrifying bacteria, but as long as there are fish in the tank. There will be enough ammonia to start a colony of bacteria.

If you are getting an ammonia reading of 4ppm after only 24 hours you are going to need to lighten you bioload by removing some of the inhabitants of the tank.

I'm a freshwater aquarist so I can't really comment on your stocking, but from what others have said it seems that your crab and puffer are not meant to be kept in a salt water tank. So they should be the first to go back to the store.

Personally I think your best option is to completely remove all inhabitants of the tank and do a fishless cycle. This will allow you time to research what you want to keep in your tank and what you will needs to do to make that happen. A fishless cycle is also a good time to work on your aquascape. It's a lot easier to play around with different aquascsping ideas when the tank isn't full of fish.

Good luck, and don't get discouraged just because you've hit a few road bumps.

Wow... Reading my post again, I AM sorry. I didn't realize how mean that sounded, but please next time make sure to learn from your mistakes?

Damon Salvatore is awesome. Enough said.

The only reason i feel "chastising" was necessary was because he responded as if he didn't care what we thought when he was given solid advice.

I don't feel as anyone has been mean yet either, just honest and straight-forward. Besides X's joke about being a fish whisperer :lol: it's all been advice.

Very soon to be adding livestock will be very surprised if you livestock last!! U are better of waiting for the tank to cycle.. It's cruel.

I have to agree on what everyone has been saying. Remove the inhabitants, letting the tank cycle on its own, slowly adding livestock back into the tank after you have researched the livestock will be the best route you can go.
Good luck with your new tank

Back
Top Bottom