Start of my first saltwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sonomakid

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This is my 30 gal hex that I picked up for free from a family member. I plan on making this into a reef tank. I plan on getting rock and sand from reefrock.net, I am looking at a reef capable led light from marineland. Filter I am looking at an aquaclear 50 as I am limited on filter space, will also be adding a koralia evolution circulation pump. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

image-3467050480.jpg

Nice tank! If I can offer some advice I would skip the filter and just go with plenty of live rock for filtration (especially if you are tight on space) I have a 55g and don't run a filter, just keep up the weekly water changes (which you would have to do anyway) I also believe the Marineland reef ready lights aren't reef ready at all. Check the specs on them, I am no led expert but I do know you want each led to be 3w each...
On a tank that size you could consider running a skimmer too, again it's optional but a good idea.
Any other questions just ask!

What would suggest as far as skimmers ? So a skimmer without a filter would be ok ? Also I was looking at 50lbs of live rock would that be enough ?

Here is a pic of the top of my tank so you can have an idea as to what I am talking about as far as space goes ?

image-647634728.jpg

I can't recommend a skimmer, I use a tunze on mine but you may need to shop around to get one that fits your tank. Try and find one rated double, so suited for 60g is best. Does the tank have a hood too? 50lb of live rock sound good!

Oh I see now the top pic of the hood. Might be tricky but not impossible, there are plenty out there and most people will tell you not to go cheap on the skimmer, invest in a good one of you can :)

Yes tank has a hood but the issue with it I have to take it off to have access to the top of the tank

That's going to make water changes hard too. Where you planning on finding a light to fit in the hood? You could think about rimless, there are pros and cons to doing that but it may solve the where to put the light/skimmer thing?

Ok so today i am ordering a reef Octopus BH-100 hob skimmer and the Taotronics dimmable led panel and possibly my lr and sand.

Hb 100

I just saw you were looking to get the hb100, I have a 30 gallon hex tank cycling now with a HB 1000 and I prefer it over the 100. The 100's pump fits inside the aquarium while the 1000's sits under the skimmer itself making for a cleaner looking inside to the aquarium and less heat transfer. It is again up to you and how you want it to look and if you have the width to hang it in there. I just liked the cleaner look of the 1000 and anything that skims the max amount my tank can produce is awesome

Bh1000 would be great but no way I am going to get my wife to approve spending more money as I have already switched from a 30 dollar power filter to 140 dollar skimmer and also spending an extra 40 bucks on lights all of which are well worth it btw. Kids and wife are taking a nap so when she gets up we will be ordering our rock and sand

An update.... heater,cir pump and protein skimmer will be arriving today. Lights were ordered on the same day as the rest of this stuff and still hasnt shipped have sent an email to seller but less than thrilled with their slow shipping. Rock and sand order has been confrimed but has not yet shipped yet either.

I havent updated in a few days becuase nothing new has really happened other than my refractometer, light and master reef test kit coming in. will take a pic of the light and post in a little bit. Also since i am still waiting on my rock and sand from reefrocks.net i decided to send my reef octopus bh100 back and get the bh1000.

Just hung the light over the tank temporarily just to see what it would look like, tank and light will be located in a different location this is with both white and blue at 30%

Attachments

• image-1368422785.jpg
    image-1368422785.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 187
Back
Top Bottom