Started my tank! :D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
well then you are lucky! thats some pricey rock, but since you got a 'discount' that's great!

the place i went to was pretty cool, it was the first time ive been there. not a huge selection of saltwater fish but its something. it was also a taxidermy shop which was really cool, they had a stuffed giraffe!

the place i went to was pretty cool, it was the first time ive been there. not a huge selection of saltwater fish but its something. it was also a taxidermy shop which was really cool, they had a stuffed giraffe!

:crazyeyes: :shock:

whoa!

roughly how long should i wait until i add some inverts? and what kind should i add?

when the tank has no detectable ammonia or nitrite, however long that takes (it varies from tank to tank), you can add what inverts you like. there is no mandatory list. just make sure to research the creatures you are interested in to be sure they can live in captivity, in that little tank.

when the tank has no detectable ammonia or nitrite, however long that takes (it varies from tank to tank), you can add what inverts you like. there is no mandatory list. just make sure to research the creatures you are interested in to be sure they can live in captivity, in that little tank.

do you know of any species?

you could add a couple snails, a hermit crab or two. i like astrea snails. red leg hermits don't get too big. hermits have been known to kill snails for their shells (and sometimes just for sport) though, so be warned.
nassarius snails are kinda cool, but eat meaty foods. if you don't have any left over fish food on the sand bed, it will starve. if you like this snail, one is plenty for that tank. you might end up having to go out of your way to make sure it get's dinner.
of all of the typical crabs, i think porcelain crabs are the least likely to do anything detrimental. they eat with their claws, and also filter the water with 2 fan-like appendages they swing back and forth to catch floating matter. pretty cool creatures.

I have a similar size tank with a few inverts. I would suggest 3-4 astrea snails 3 red led hermits, and 1 emerald crab for a good cleaner crew. After everything is more stable you can add the "fancier" inverts, like pom poms and sexy shrimps. Also I would suggest skipping any fish, a tank that small is much easier to keep stable water without fish. Nice start

I have a similar size tank with a few inverts. I would suggest 3-4 snails 3 hermits, and 1 emerald crab for a good cleaner crew. After everything is more stable you can add the "fancier" inverts, like pom poms and sexy shrimps. Also I would suggest skipping any fish, a tank that small is much easier to keep stable water without fish. Nice start

jw, about how much did you pay for each type of invert? just so i know the average price so i dont get ripped off. and i wasnt counting on putting any fish, thatd just be down right cruel.

It all depends on what your looking at stocking. Emerald crabs are much less than a pom pom. And where you are plays a big part I was paying half the price when I was living in Cali than I am now that I moved back to Michigan

oh, my LFS seemed a little more expensive than online but without the $30 shipping charge

bad news :( there must be a leak somewhere in my tank, there is all this water underkneath it. and its not evaporation because it tastes salty

Back
Top Bottom