Starter Bacteria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patrickriley2010

Aquarium Advice Addict
What brand do you use ?

My bio wheel seized up again and I think I probably lost almost all my progress I need to get more but idk what brand ?

You mean the bio wheel stopped spinning on your marineland? If you have any other material in your filter and/or substrate you will have plenty of bb still

Okay we'll I'm getting rid of the gravel soon so how long before the bio wheel collects some of the BB that's in the tank and starts to regrow?

I'd wait on changing the gravel for a month or two in order to give your beneficial bacteria a chance. Your biofilter is at a more fragile stage right now. If you change your gravel and your filter is new, you are nearly starting over. Next time, just gently slosh your filter material in a bucket of tank water that you then discard. As long as you unclog the material by sloshing, you can use your filter material for a long time. By then your wheel should be good again.

The only way to tell if your bio filter is working is to test your water. There is no set time for it to regrow.

I'd wait on changing the gravel for a month or two in order to give your beneficial bacteria a chance. Your biofilter is at a more fragile stage right now. If you change your gravel and your filter is new, you are nearly starting over. Next time, just gently slosh your filter material in a bucket of tank water that you then discard. As long as you unclog the material by sloshing, you can use your filter material for a long time. By then your wheel should be good again.

The only way to tell if your bio filter is working is to test your water. There is no set time for it to regrow.

I have is sitting in a still bucket of old tank water will the BB still be alive after a day 1/2

To answer your question, I use Tetra Safe Start and/or Dr. Tim's One and Only.

David

I've never used Quick Start. They sell Tetra Safe Start at Walmart, by the way.

David

Back
Top Bottom