Starting 29 gallon reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So higher would be better than a low structure spread across the tank? Should it be like a high mountain in the middle? Or what?

That's your call, but some corals prefer to be closer to the light. Aquascaping is in the eye of the beholder! :)

So make some spots for future coral placement at different hights throughout the tank? And also make some caves and stuff for fish?

So I have everything in place! Not sure how much I like it but I guess it looks okay. I'm sure I'll never be able to make it a way I love :p water got a little cloudy again so in gonna let it settle, hopefully won't take that long. Then I will post a few pictures (anyone have any tips on gettin good pics?) and I will post my ammonia nitrite and nitrate levels.

I am on week 8 of setting up my 28 gallon nano tank. I love it. I would start off with about 4 chromis. 20 lbs of live rock should be more than enough to support the tank if you keep it properly salinated and tested. I can tell you that I kind of went overboard on everthing that I bought in addition to the kit, however, I have just been having fun and learning a lot. So with my 4 chromis I have 6 different soft coral frags, 2 clowns, two firefish darters, a cleaner shrimp along with a cleaning crew of snails and crabs. I will probably add a few more chromis. I think they are cool but hard to come by lately.

Really? My LFS has tons of chromis but I personally am much more interested in something along the fish (clownfish, firefish, blennies, bangaii cardinal, royal gramma, and maybe a 6lined wrasse) then some inverts and corals :) I unfortunately will not be able to stock all of those 6 fish however without over stocking. I have 40lbs of live rock and 35lbs of live sand.

So here are the shots of my tank finally :D
And can anyone tell me if these snails are fine? They're my only 2 hitchhikers sense my rock came out of a matured tank so im assuming they're fine?

Attachments

• image-3946231768.jpg
    image-3946231768.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 112
  • image-1959405166.jpg
    image-1959405166.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 106
  • image-541381240.jpg
    image-541381240.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 88
  • image-1093373597.jpg
    image-1093373597.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 98
As for my test results:
PH-8
Ammonia-between .5 and .25
Nitrite-.25
Nitrate-between 40 and 80
Salinity-31
Specific gravity-1.023
How's my cycle looking? About how long should I still have? My tanks been up for 2 weeks as of tomorrow.

Your best off to keep you rock work 1.5"-2" off the glass to allow for flow and cleaning (also helps avoid scratches) and the rubble would look better mixed into the rock work a bit more imo.. here's my scape job on my tank

Khij159753 said:
As for my test results:
PH-8
Ammonia-between .5 and .25
Nitrite-.25
Nitrate-between 40 and 80
Salinity-31
Specific gravity-1.023
How's my cycle looking? About how long should I still have? My tanks been up for 2 weeks as of tomorrow.

Looks good not long from now and the ammo and trites should drop to zero

I'd like to but my rock is being very difficult. There is space between the rock and glass in most spaces but it refuses to stay away from the glass in all areas. :/

Mrc8858 said:
Your best off to keep you rock work 1.5"-2" off the glass to allow for flow and cleaning (also helps avoid scratches) and the rubble would look better mixed into the rock work a bit more imo.. here's my scape job on my tank

Will my Rock eventually look that colorful? How long will that take?

Khij159753 said:
So I have everything in place! Not sure how much I like it but I guess it looks okay. I'm sure I'll never be able to make it a way I love :p water got a little cloudy again so in gonna let it settle, hopefully won't take that long. Then I will post a few pictures (anyone have any tips on gettin good pics?) and I will post my ammonia nitrite and nitrate levels.

No flash lol. You will figure it out with experience. Just be a perfectionist. For every 1 pic I post, I've taken like 5+.

Tabordan said:
I am on week 8 of setting up my 28 gallon nano tank. I love it. I would start off with about 4 chromis. 20 lbs of live rock should be more than enough to support the tank if you keep it properly salinated and tested. I can tell you that I kind of went overboard on everthing that I bought in addition to the kit, however, I have just been having fun and learning a lot. So with my 4 chromis I have 6 different soft coral frags, 2 clowns, two firefish darters, a cleaner shrimp along with a cleaning crew of snails and crabs. I will probably add a few more chromis. I think they are cool but hard to come by lately.

Chromis should be house in odd numbers (3+) and IMO you should not have 6 in a nano cube. Maybe if it is fish only with little rock.

Khij159753 said:
Will my Rock eventually look that colorful? How long will that take?

You will eventually have coralline (purple normally) spread if you have efficient calcium levels, decent light, and coralline on some LR to seed it.

Khij159753 said:
I'd like to but my rock is being very difficult. There is space between the rock and glass in most spaces but it refuses to stay away from the glass in all areas. :/

Good flow will prevent bad algae from forming. Could become and issue.

So should I get new lighting soon or can I still put it off? Also how soon do I need to get a better filter? I'm gettin another 425 powerhead this week so that shoul help with flow and a good CUC shoul help with the bad algea right?

So I'm tryin to come up with a stocking list. Fish anyways. And I think I was a blenny, 2 firefish, a royal gramma, and 1 or 2 6lined wrasses. Also in thinking I might want clowns but I can't decide if I do or not. Anyone got any suggestions? How many fish could I put in there?

Back
Top Bottom