Starting 29 gallon reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Khij159753 said:
Okay but might not get any till Tuesday. I work 12 hour shifts sat, sun, mon and sleep the other 12 hours. :p

I hear ya. I work 12h shifts too, mine are nights 7P-730A. Just finished 3 in a row myself. Days I work, don't get much else done besides cook dinner for the fam.

Haha yeah. Lucky for me I'm 18 and live at home so I don't have many responsibilities :) just eat sleep and work :) I work 5:30pm-6:00am but the 4 days off kinda make up for the having no life for 3 days :)

So I tried to get pics today but only saw the Mexican turbo and only part of him. Maybe I'll have better luck tomorrow.

I'm very excited :) my LFS is gettin a shipment in tomorrow and is putting aside a pistol shrimp for me. He also said if I get there at 3 he'll have plenty of cleaner shrimp and some corals for me to start with :) idk if I wanna get the pistol and 2 cleaners or the pistol a cleaner and a coral. Someone help me decide?

I would get a pistol, 1 cleaner and a coral. It's a 29g, don't really need more than 1 cleaner In That size tank. And you'd get a coral too!! Exciting!! :)

Okay :) I was about to post that I will probably only get 1 cause im also planning on gettin a fire shrimp down the road :) I can't wait :) tomorrow should be a fun day :) I'm hoping the shrimp will help make my tank look even more active :) and maybe clean up some of this gross algea that's growing everywhere :p

I will :) I'm hopin not to hit over 100$ tomorrow :p haha. They had a sexy shrimp I almost bought today. It was completely clear! Except for some orange black and white spots and stuff on it's tail, belly, and face!

So after much more reading online and flipping around in my head I've come up with an idea for last of fish I wanna add. I came up with 3 options. Bangaii cardinal, blue green chromis, and clowns. I wanna hear all your reasons for getting or not getting these fish :) after thinking long and hard I'll share my opinion all though I do not know much of these fish... First I was thinking a pair of clowns and a cardinal but figured that might be a little hard on the bioload cause clowns are dirty. But still wanted a pair of fish and knew chromis do better in larger groups. So I think I'm going to go with (DRUM ROLL!!!) 2 bangaii cardinals and a clown. What y'all think? I will stay up with my WC and testing. Will add over a very long time. And make sure there are plenty of caves. Right now I have a scooter blenny, a firefish and a YWG. And my nitrates are always 0 even when I don't do a WC for 3 weeks.

Thought I'd add in there that right now I have 40lbs of LR and LS, i will get a skimmer before adding those fish and I will get another power head. I will have a good CUC and will increase if needed. Any opinions at all are welcome :) I'll keep you posted tomorrow about what I buy :) you guys are soooo much help and this tank couldn't be happening without you all!

I have a 29 gallon as well, and I have 2 false perc clowns (babies) a pajama cardinal, and 2 sand sifting blennies. That's 5 fish in a 29. My bioload isn't out of wack, and my tank is extremely clean. So I don't see why not about adding 2 clowns. On top of all them I have a coral banded shrimp, Atlantic Anemone, hairy mushroom coral, neon green mushroom coral, 3 feather Dusters, 15 hermit crabs, and 8 turbo snails. My sump runs at about 350 gah. If you take the right steps you can put almost anything in your tank. The only thing is as soon as my clown get to mature size I'll have to move both or 1 to my 75 tank. But till than I'm keeping them together.

joelduval1 said:
I have a 29 gallon as well, and I have 2 false perc clowns (babies) a pajama cardinal, and 2 sand sifting blennies. That's 5 fish in a 29. My bioload isn't out of wack, and my tank is extremely clean. So I don't see why not about adding 2 clowns. On top of all them I have a coral banded shrimp, Atlantic Anemone, hairy mushroom coral, neon green mushroom coral, 3 feather Dusters, 15 hermit crabs, and 8 turbo snails. My sump runs at about 350 gah. If you take the right steps you can put almost anything in your tank. The only thing is as soon as my clown get to mature size I'll have to move both or 1 to my 75 tank. But till than I'm keeping them together.

Sounds good :) but I don't have a sump. And no larger tank so would I be better off with 2 cardinals and 1 clown?

Alot of people say you don't need a sump for the 29 gallon... I disagree. I made my own sump. And couldnt be happier. I don't run a protein skimmer tho. Cuz I have a lot of filter feeders in my tank.

I'm not picky. Want something on the peaceful side. I'll buy it as small as I possibly can cause I love watching them grow. :) how do you make a ump? I've never really look in to it. Is it easy? I'd much rather do that than get a skimmer. Probably cheaper too :)

False perc clowns as peaceful. Most clowns are. Only the maroon clown (that I know of) isn't, they're very territorial. I used to have one, he killed anything I put in with him. So he had to go. Goto www.liveaquaria.com to see the temperament of clowns.

The sump roughly cost me around 200 bucks. 80 for a overflow box. 10 for a 10 gallon tank. 20 to have 3 pieces of glass cut and installed for me. 45 for a return pump, Than hoses and filter socks, and some PVC and simple hardware like that.

Making it was actually easy. Getting the overflow box and return pump to he timed right is what took awhile. (Almost a month) if you really want to make a sump pm me and ill give you step by step on how I did it. With pics and all that.

Thank you very very much :) I will make sure to do that when I have some extra money :)

You could go black and white clowns too. I have a maroon and a black and white and they get along fine. The maroon is bigger and host my bubble tip nem. But the BW one host the back of the tank. Petco near me go in snowflake clowns and I really wish i got them. When my 50 gal is up and running thats what I'm getting

22engine said:
You could go black and white clowns too. I have a maroon and a black and white and they get along fine. The maroon is bigger and host my bubble tip nem. But the BW one host the back of the tank. Petco near me go in snowflake clowns and I really wish i got them. When my 50 gal is up and running thats what I'm getting

I saw some snowflake clowns at my LFS and they looked sooooo cool!!!! He also had some i think false perlicua clowns with a thicker Black line between the orange and white and it also had a little gold on it and I liked those alot too :) also since I'll probably get the cardinals first is there any way to tell which is a male and which is a female?

Khij159753 said:
I saw some snowflake clowns at my LFS and they looked sooooo cool!!!! He also had some i think false perlicua clowns with a thicker Black line between the orange and white and it also had a little gold on it and I liked those alot too :) also since I'll probably get the cardinals first is there any way to tell which is a male and which is a female?

In the clowns or in the cardinals?

Back
Top Bottom