Starting 75gal help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I guess I'll have to get one of those and figure out to make sure it doesn't over flow since that would be terrible.

Right. I must get it perfect. I can't afford to have it overflow lol.

Right. I must get it perfect. I can't afford to have it overflow lol.

I have had one overflow on me twice.
Once was during a power outage and I hadn't checked the siphon in months so of course it broke. So the tank overflowed when the power came back on.

The second time I didn't have a check valve when the power went out and the siphon stoped at the overflow box but siphoned down the intake/pump tube.

Since then I haven't had a problem with a sump in several years. The cleanup sucks especially when it happend to me because it was saltwater and not freshwater.

You'll figure it out by just playing with it and knowing it can happen.

Dang. That's not good. I can't have that happen.

So I need a check valve on the out take line. Where the pump pumps water back to the tank? And make sure that the overflow box won't take so much water that it over flows the sump?

You'll see when you get it but the box part that goes in the tank slides up and down to where ever you want the water level. I leave mine as high as it will go that the water hides behind the molding on the tank to always look full but low enough the tank doesn't overflow.

And yes a check valve and a shut off ball valve should be on the tube going back up to the tank.

Alright. Cool ill have to do a lot of messing around with it to get it right.

Is there a way to make sure the siphon won't break? I think if the power goes out I would be fine but if the siphon breaks then the pump will pump too much into the tank and over flow. Is there a way to prevent that??

So this really isn't a siphon. It just uses gravity. Kind of like if I had drilled holes in the tAnk?? Do you think that would be necessary to make sure there were no overflowing happening? I'm just nervous if something went wrong. I want it to be fail proof.

I just read some reviews on them. A lot of people were saying its not a good idea. But the U tube design as long as it is set correctly will work fine.

So this really isn't a siphon. It just uses gravity. Kind of like if I had drilled holes in the tAnk?? Do you think that would be necessary to make sure there were no overflowing happening? I'm just nervous if something went wrong. I want it to be fail proof.

I really can't say since I haven't used one before so all I can tell you is. Drilling the tank would be the best safest option. Otherwise I can only say what I've heard and found on Google. Here is a review that may help ya out.
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...ics-hang-back-overflow-review-12-03-08-a.html

Thanks for all your help Andrew. I know I have been asking a ton of questions and you have done great helping me out. I should have everything I need for the filter in a week or so. I still new to order the pump. But then I'll start building the background.

Thanks for all your help Andrew. I know I have been asking a ton of questions and you have done great helping me out. I should have everything I need for the filter in a week or so. I still new to order the pump. But then I'll start building the background.

No problem at all that's what we are here for :) I can't wait to see how it goes

I'll start posting pics of all the stuff I got. Depending on how much time I have during the holidays my 3d background build might have to wait til the new year.

One last question about filters. I found that the fluval fx5 pumps around 935 gph. Is this also a good way to go? Never have to worry about the tank or sump over flowing? I know I won't be able to hide as many things but what other flaws does this option have as well as pros? Also going the canister route will be about 150 to 200 cheaper.

One last question about filters. I found that the fluval fx5 pumps around 935 gph. Is this also a good way to go? Never have to worry about the tank or sump over flowing? I know I won't be able to hide as many things but what other flaws does this option have as well as pros? Also going the canister route will be about 150 to 200 cheaper.

It will be fine without worry going with the canister. It may be a better option for you.

I think I am going to go ahead and order the fluval fx5. I will save a bunch of money and it looks like a good product. Any recommendation on what to fill the three filter baskets with?

What do you think about lights. I would like it to be pretty affordable but also be able to do different things like moons and different colors I I wanted. Mainly just day and a moon light though.

I think I am going to go ahead and order the fluval fx5. I will save a bunch of money and it looks like a good product. Any recommendation on what to fill the three filter baskets with?

What do you think about lights. I would like it to be pretty affordable but also be able to do different things like moons and different colors I I wanted. Mainly just day and a moon light though.

I sent you a pm

In my canisters I just use bio balls or ceramic rings and sponges

Just to chime in and I see Andy has been a HUGE help, I'd still like to add my 2 cents If ya don't mind lol.

The fx5... Ah... The trusted Fluval fx5. I had one an wasn't impressed at all. I have a over stocked African Cichlid tank and run 2 AC110's (HOB filters) I use polishing pads, sponge and bio rings. I think I hung my fx5 and used it as a piñata lol.

Maybe just me but I hated it and although canisters for the most part are great, I found that cleaning it was more then a chore it became a job and once things in this hobby become real work it becomes less fun JMO.

Lighting, something I played with for a while. I had a 4 bulb T5 HO fixture for a year. I had top of the line bulbs. ATI bulbs in various colors BUT... Bulbs burn out and you spend money replacing them. The heat wasn't much of a factor. The built in timers were nice also.

In the end I went with the Marineland DB LED fixture and I'm happy with it. You be the judge.

Marineland DB LED fixture with built in moonlights.

image-2978120656.jpg

4 bulb T5 fixture with purple plus and blue special bulbs.

image-3050741401.jpg

Back
Top Bottom