Starting 75gal help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Andrew!
Convict. So you wouldn't recommend the fx5 at all? It seems for the price and circulation rate it would be great. Not to mention all the filter media I could put in along with being able to put it in the cabinet underneath the tank. If I got 2 ac 110's it would be about 100 cheaper. What size is your tank?

Also, if I went with the 2 HOB's would I have to get a powerhead too?

Thanks Andrew!
Convict. So you wouldn't recommend the fx5 at all? It seems for the price and circulation rate it would be great. Not to mention all the filter media I could put in along with being able to put it in the cabinet underneath the tank. If I got 2 ac 110's it would be about 100 cheaper. What size is your tank?

Love my AC 110's ;) Super customizable & nice flow.

He has had many problems with his xf5 but it started out great. You could go back to the original plan and do the rena canisters and a aquaclear. Witch to me is a great option.

Also running a power head is just an added bonus to get more flow in the tank. It's not something that needed but nice to have.

Alright everyone. I am pulling the trigger today no matter what. I am taking both your advice. I will get the Rena xp2 and AC 110. Here are the pics to make sure I'm getting the right ones. I will order today at lunch.
Sorry for being so wishy washy.

image-2804210464.jpg

image-282584480.jpg

I think you'll be happy with that selection. And no worries. It's good your doing your homework an asking ALOT of questions lol. You wanna do it right and I commend you for wanting to do the right thing for your fish friends.

Well I just ordered the filters.

As for stock, I would like to do a rock theme with a sand bottom. So maybe do lake Malawi mbuna. I would like a bunch of color along with activity. I really like the yellow and blue ones. I think called yellow labs and cobalt blue?

Well I just ordered the filters.

As for stock, I would like to do a rock theme with a sand bottom. So maybe do lake Malawi mbuna. I would like a bunch of color along with activity. I really like the yellow and blue ones. I think called yellow labs and cobalt blue?

There are many yellow and blues, its the other colors that can be a bit harder to find. But those two are yellow and blue and will be fine together. I'd say pick 5 or 6 in the mild aggressiveness group and go from there. I have to recommend trying to stay under 5" of adults size. The Metriaclima callainos ( cobalt blue) is pushing it a little at just over 5" almost 6"

I need to do more reading of all the types and sizes. Is there a place that has a comprehensive list of mbuna cichlids along with their aggressiveness and size? And is it true that if I am doing mbuna that I can only do mbuna?

I need to do more reading of all the types and sizes. Is there a place that has a comprehensive list of mbuna cichlids along with their aggressiveness and size? And is it true that if I am doing mbuna that I can only do mbuna?

To keep it easy yes you should pretty much just do mbuna but you can get away with Synodontis with them.

What I like to tell people to look around to see what's available and build a stock off of that. And look up the profiles of each one as you go to note the size and temperment. I think most of us use http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/ to look up profiles.

So I just skimmed through all the profiles and these are the ones I like the most with being 5 inch or below. And mild aggressiveness.

Yellow top mamba
Electric yellow
Cynotilapia lion
Red top kimpuna (might be too large)
Red top tropheops
Midnight demasoni
Afra edwardi
Afra chewere

Would a aqueon pro submersible heater that is only 250w work? That all the higher I could find in that model.

Would a aqueon pro submersible heater that is only 250w work? That all the higher I could find in that model.

I use that heater and only one. My tank maintains a temp of exactly 77.6.

In the summer I actually unplugged it for 2 months as the temp went to 80+.

Yea you may be able to do with that. It's harder to heat with a sump plus having a 6' tank. You generally figure 5 watts per gallon of water. But the numbers would change a good bit depending on where you live and how cold it gets. I've never told anyone but this is my little trick when figuring out all kinds of stuff, some of the stuff isn't accurate without changing the multiply #. Check it out http://tinyurl.com/dyfaywr

So I just skimmed through all the profiles and these are the ones I like the most with being 5 inch or below. And mild aggressiveness.

Yellow top mamba
Electric yellow
Cynotilapia lion
Red top kimpuna (might be too large)
Red top tropheops
Midnight demasoni
Afra edwardi
Afra chewere

I think you should pick out some more that's a lot of Cynotilapia. The yellow labs and the mbamba will interbreed and I know for a fact that they will and you'll have hybrids everywhere. But I agree I like all the ones you picked out, I keep some of them

Last edited:
I use that heater and only one. My tank maintains a temp of exactly 77.6.

In the summer I actually unplugged it for 2 months as the temp went to 80+.

Thanks. That is good news because I ordered that one and got 25% off.

Yea you may be able to do with that. It's harder to heat with a sump plus having a 6' tank. You generally figure 5 watts per gallon of water. But the numbers would change a good bit depending on where you live and how cold it gets. I've never told anyone but this is my little trick when figuring out all kinds of stuff, some of the stuff isn't accurate without changing the multiply #. Check it out http://tinyurl.com/dyfaywr

I think you should pick out some more that's a lot of Cynotilapia. The yellow labs and the mbamba will interbreed and I know for a fact that they will and you'll have hybrids everywhere. But I agree I like all the ones you picked out, I keep some of them

I am guessing hybrids are bad?? So I need a good mix of the different species within the lake Malawi mbuna? How many different types would you suggest?

I am guessing hybrids are bad?? So I need a good mix of the different species within the lake Malawi mbuna? How many different types would you suggest?

To make it look better I'd try to pick 5 maybe 4 and try to stay under the 5" we talked about, he smaller the better.
It looks better imo if you have a whole bunch of each one than a ton of mixed. I'm going to redo my tank in the next couple months and get rid all of my fish except 3 or 4 and get a few new ones and do big groups of each.
1- Cynotilapia
1- Labidochromis
1 or 2- Metriaclima
1or 2- Pseudotropheus

To make it look better I'd try to pick 5 maybe 4 and try to stay under the 5" we talked about, he smaller the better.
It looks better imo if you have a whole bunch of each one than a ton of mixed. I'm going to redo my tank in the next couple months and get rid all of my fish except 3 or 4 and get a few new ones and do big groups of each.
1- Cynotilapia
1- Labidochromis
1 or 2- Metriaclima
1or 2- Pseudotropheus

For my Cynotilapia:
Cynotilapia afra (cobue) "afra edwardi"

For the Lab:
Yellow top mmbamba

For the metriaclima: 2 of these.
Metriaclima estherea (blue)
Metriaclima estherea (red)
Metriaclima msobo ( maobo magunga) "deep"