Starting a 10g feeder tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hiram1982

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay my plans are to convert one of my 10g into a tank just for feeders for my larger tanks. Im sick of buying feeders all the time. Well I need advise on how to proceed. I want something fairly easy to take care of that will get big enough for my large oscars to eat and enjoy. Any help would be greatly appericated. Thanks!!

I would add some fake plants and a thin layer of gravel to the breeder tank along with a sponge filter and you should be good to go.

Your best bet if you want something easy to look after is to breed live bearing fish i.e guppies/platys/mollies/swordtails, easy to look after and you could have new batches of fry roughly every 4 weeks =D

Now when I was a kid my mom would have a breeding pair seperate in a little floating breeder thing. Would i need to do that with live bearers? My plans were to get about 2 or 3 male(insert live bearer here) and 8 or 10 female(insert live bearer here) throw some gravel and fake plants in my 10g. With a HoB filter and light (maybe heater if needed). Can anyone suggest a live bearer thats low maintance and gets to a fairly large size???

I would probably go with guppies, they are super easy to breed. If you do use a HOB filter make sure you use a prefilter over the intake so the filter does not suck up the fry.

Now when I was a kid my mom would have a breeding pair seperate in a little floating breeder thing. Would i need to do that with live bearers? My plans were to get about 2 or 3 male(insert live bearer here) and 8 or 10 female(insert live bearer here) throw some gravel and fake plants in my 10g. With a HoB filter and light (maybe heater if needed). Can anyone suggest a live bearer thats low maintance and gets to a fairly large size???

Just try to have it as densly planted as you can to minimize the risk of the older fish eating the fry :)
Either mollies or swordtails are probably the two largest livebearers i can think of, although in my opinion i find that mollies are easier to breed :) i would use a heater by the way, because the temp may fluctuate too much without one and kill the fry

Back
Top Bottom