Starting a 40 Gallon Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sand is completely optional as well as how much. Dry sand is preferable as it cheaper and does not contain all the dieoff of live sand. Live sand is generally a ripoff.

Ok so I got a 50 gallon bag of instant ocean, 2 mp10 probably overkill but they can grow with me, a refractometer, 20 lbs of carib sea white sand so now I am waiting till I get it all set up to buy my live rock wich is 6.50 per lb with great Caroline(spelling?) growth from a local club member for dirt cheap

My question is how long after I mix my water do I wait to put it in the tank keep in mind there is no livestock until I get this baby cycled?

You can add the sand and the water and the salt to the tank with the mp 10 for you initial fill up. Then when it's all mixed well at the correct salinity add your rock.

Ok so I am wondering if this water is ok to use until I save up more funds for a ro/di unit ?

Attachments

• image-73540382.jpg
    image-73540382.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 86
  • image-3917056361.jpg
    image-3917056361.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 98
Your best off finding someone who sells 0 TDS Ro/di water. That water is not 0 tds. Could it be fine? yes, could it be a problem? Yes. Its up to you what your willing to risk. When its not 0tds your taking a risk and playing a guessing game, its up to you to decide if the risk is worth it, or if your ready to deal with the problems that can arise from unknown water.

Schism said:
Your best off finding someone who sells 0 TDS Ro/di water. That water is not 0 tds. Could it be fine? yes, could it be a problem? Yes. Its up to you what your willing to risk. When its not 0tds your taking a risk and playing a guessing game, its up to you to decide if the risk is worth it, or if your ready to deal with the problems that can arise from unknown water.

This is the problem I can't find it anywhere no pet stores within 2 hrs has or any grocery store

Where would one find it?

Look on craigslist for someone selling it. You can also make a looking for listing. That might get you somewhere. If not then if it were me id wait till i could afford Ro/di unit. 120 bucks on bulkreefsupply.com Ive used grocery store water in the jugs when i started and i testes all brands i could. All contained phosphate and anywhere from 25-100 TDS. God only knows what else is in it. Including heavy metals, and other nuisance minerals. I had major hair algae problem with that tank among a few other issues. It was mostly setup as a test. Tore it down and restarted the tank. Distilled, ro, ozonated water however it is labeled in the store contains lots of unwanted crap and every brand i tested was slightly different and inconsistent from one lot to the next lot. I suggest not trying to cut corners on the water as its your base for everything else and already sets u off on a bad foot the minute that tank is filled. Starting clean and perfect will set you up for an easier tank and less headaches.

That sucks cause Craigslist has a total of 25 listings on the entire site for Halifax Canada nobody uses it here but I am looking on Kijiji much more popular but it's happening either way I already ordered my live rock so it's gonna have to do for the time being until I buy a ro/di unit which I will have to do soon I guess

Well that does suck. Just be aware things can go wrong and if it does i would be looking at your water source. Algae could cause you some problems.

Ok so I put an add on my local aquarium clubs boards and got a fast reply I am buying 20 gallons of rodi water a month for 20$ that will cover my 1/4 tank water changes every week. Thank god I dodged that bullet

On another note I also ordered a rio mini hob skimmer for up to 20 gallons 30$, and my live rock I got local from a member for 40$ for 20lbs, my sand Carib sea white 20$ for 20lbs, my 2 mp10 powerheads for 150$, omega one marine food 20$, my refractometer 80$, already have my 20 gallon tank and API master test kit.

I think I got everything I need now just playing the fed ex waiting game lol? Anything else I am missing?

Also I found a site in Canada that sells ro/di systems for 125$ shipping inc is that a fair price?

ryan-peddle said:
On another note I also ordered a rio mini hob skimmer for up to 20 gallons 30$, and my live rock I got local from a member for 40$ for 20lbs, my sand Carib sea white 20$ for 20lbs, my 2 mp10 powerheads for 150$, omega one marine food 20$, my refractometer 80$, already have my 20 gallon tank and API master test kit.

I think I got everything I need now just playing the fed ex waiting game lol? Anything else I am missing?

Also I found a site in Canada that sells ro/di systems for 125$ shipping inc is that a fair price?

Where on gods green earth did you get 2 mp10's for 150 you lucky bastard lol. I had to pay full price new for my one for 230. Im completely jealous lol. Sounds like you got hooked up on a lot of good stuff.

Everything was from a local member from our local fourm who bought all this stuff to set up his tank and found out he was having a baby so I got it all for a song and dance

Sand and food is coming from big als online I was gonna order everything from big als until I came across this deal so i canceled my order. everything is still unopened in box even the 2 mp10's I am super happy these deals don't happen often

ryan-peddle said:
Everything was from a local member from our local fourm who bought all this stuff to set up his tank and found out he was having a baby so I got it all for a song and dance

Sand and food is coming from big als online I was gonna order everything from big als until I came across this deal so i canceled my order. everything is still unopened in box even the 2 mp10's I am super happy these deals don't happen often

No they dont, awesome luck on the find.

Well my main tank at the moment is a 29g mixed reef, pair of ocellaris clowns, lawnmower blenny and scooter blennie, sandsifting star, cleaner shrimp, assorted hermits and snails. Sps,lps, and softies.

150w metal halide 14k
Reef Octopus BH1000 HOB skimmer
Mp10
Reefkeeper Lite (plus) w ATO
150w heater
Carbon/ GfO reactor
35lbs live rock
2" sandbed

Also have a 2 other tanks thats have just been running without much in them besides a few fish and rock. Have had many tanks over the years.

Attachments

• image-2051595126.jpg
    image-2051595126.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 78
ryan-peddle said:
That's a really nice tank hold your head up high. And I know all about MTS I have about 15 fresh tanks but this is my first salty.

Thanks, believe it or not ive never tried my hand at freshwater unless you count the three goldfish larry, curly and moe i had when i was 5 lol

Back
Top Bottom