Starting a 40 Gallon Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
O lol I didn't pay 150$ that was the price on the box I paid 60 for everything listed in the first paragraph

I also have the rio nano skimmer I will run both until my next big ALS order I have to order a box of instant ocean mix anyway and a coral master test kit o yeah it's not a fowlr anymore I ordered the light so yeah that didn't take long

Well I got my order I love the lights but the 4 fans are a little loud but I can deal with that the led moon lights rock and it looks like a different tank with 4 t5 bulbs.

On a side note the sea clone is skimming away started it up last night and already had to dump the collection cup seems to work good to me but I have nothing to compare it to so... The rio nano skimmer works great aswell I am very surprised with it

Looking into manufactured sump tanks found a couple on Kijiji for 100$ does anybody use them?here are pics of them which would you choose they are both 100$ first pic is CPR aquatics sump, model CY 194(19gallons) second is a 35 gallon

Attachments

• image-1828982208.jpg
    image-1828982208.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 73
  • image-1050472447.jpg
    image-1050472447.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 66
  • image-105766887.jpg
    image-105766887.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 67
Can you fit both of the sumps under the tank? I would go with the one with a larger footprint so you can add stuff in if you want. The first picture looks like a nice sump but it doesnt look very roomy. lol

To get people to post you can always say you are putting ten tangs in a 55g!! LOL That would get people going. hehe

I agree with Carey, the one on the right seems like it would be more versatile, and allow you to add equipment to your set-up.
$100 is a really good price too. My Eshopps 30" sump cost almost $200, new.

Thanks guys I will go with that one he says it's still wrapped brand new and never set it up comes with return pump for a 100 gallon tank I hope I can dial it down some lol

carey said:
Can you fit both of the sumps under the tank? I would go with the one with a larger footprint so you can add stuff in if you want. The first picture looks like a nice sump but it doesnt look very roomy. lol

To get people to post you can always say you are putting ten tangs in a 55g!! LOL That would get people going. hehe

I would say 55 in a ten but I don't want to start a riot lol

$100 for a brand new sump AND return pump is a steal!!! Great find Ryan. :)
Wish I could find a skimmer deal like that!!!

I know right now I am runnin a rio nano skimmer of my first set up and a sea clone but they are pulling a weird amount of crap for only haveing live rock and a couple mushrooms

O and I found my first bristle worm yesterday he is super cool I don't know why some consider them pests

Now you see the sump picture on the right where should I place my skimmer,heater ect and what media and where to place it I would like to put my skimmer in the first compartment to reduce micro bubbles they are driving me crazy

Also I am running an ac20 on the tank do I need it with my 2 skimmers and 45lbs of live rock?

ryan-peddle said:
Now you see the sump picture on the right where should I place my skimmer,heater ect and what media and where to place it I would like to put my skimmer in the first compartment to reduce micro bubbles they are driving me crazy

Also I am running an ac20 on the tank do I need it with my 2 skimmers and 45lbs of live rock?

You don't really need the power filter, but if it has carbon in it and you keep it clean, it can't hurt either.
Yeah, you'll want the skimmer in the first section, with the filter sock. Heater can go in the last, with the return pump. And it looks like the middle section is a great place for some media. I don't run any media right now, as I'm looking into a couple reactors. One GFO, for phosphates, and one for carbon. I wouldn't feel comfortable suggesting what to use, because I don't know what would be best in a sump. Someone else could help you out more with that, I wouldn't want to steer you wrong.

Flreefer said:
You don't really need the power filter, but if it has carbon in it and you keep it clean, it can't hurt either.
Yeah, you'll want the skimmer in the first section, with the filter sock. Heater can go in the last, with the return pump. And it looks like the middle section is a great place for some media. I don't run any media right now, as I'm looking into a couple reactors. One GFO, for phosphates, and one for carbon. I wouldn't feel comfortable suggesting what to use, because I don't know what would be best in a sump. Someone else could help you out more with that, I wouldn't want to steer you wrong.

Ok thanks for the honesty so you use your sump just to hide your gear and for the extra volume?

Though a fuge rather than a sump, i cant picture one without some macro algae to help with nitrates. But added volume and housing equipment is the reason for a sump.

ryan-peddle said:
Ok thanks for the honesty so you use your sump just to hide your gear and for the extra volume?

Well, I have a sump and a fuge tied together, with separate returns. Right now the sump is just a filter sock and my skimmer. The fuge is 3-4" sandbed, live rock, and Macro. The only type of media in their right now is a phosphate pad at the fuge intake, just to help with phosphates, temporarily. Together they are 5' long.
When I got this tank (180), I had to build all filtration, overflows included, so I went with a big set-up, allowing me space for future equipment upgrades.

Perfect thanks

Something weird happened tonight during my water test I was dosing my ammonia to 6ppm
I test after each 5ml of ammonia the first two looked normal 1 at .5 the other at 2 then the third turned blue????? I have never seen this with API any thoughts???

From my research I added to much ammonia and now it's off the chart that why I am seeing the blue color should I change some water or let the cycle convert it?

Attachments

• image-1080029088.jpg
    image-1080029088.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 38
As for test kits I have a saltwater and reef mater test kits and copper test kit all API is there anymore I need I am doing another order so I want to get anything else I may need thanks

ryan-peddle said:
What are all the test kits I need besides saltwater and reef masters and copper?

That should cover it. Copper test os not needed unless you suspect copper got in your water somehow. But if i were you i would pick up a few salifert test kits for double checking or main use for the parameters checked often such as nitrates, ph, alk and calcium. Also one thing not included in the API kits is a magnesium kit which i highly recommend picking up.

Back
Top Bottom