starting a 5.5 gallon.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ktw020

Aquarium Advice Activist
Need recommendations for lighting. Looking for medium lighting! Thanks

A desk lamp with a spiral CFL bulb would probably be your cheapest option.

Otherwise, there are a few led fixtures that would work well. The finnex fugeray or the current satellite + being the most popular at the moment.

Last edited:
If you don't want to go LED, the cheapest alternative is cfl bulbs. The easiest way to do it is by using a clamp on lamp (looks like THIS). You can get these at homedepot I think. A single 13 watt bulb should give you medium lighting i believe... you can also try two 9-watt bulbs, but that's leaning towards high light (you'll need to position it farther from surface then)

However, if you want to be more ambitious with style and customization... Make a DIY dual lamp horizontal setup with X2 7-9 watt bulbs. You can get a dual lamp horizontal bare lamp post (something like this) from a hardware store or order it online. Or you can use single ones. (diagram below how its done)
Brotip* using long cfl tubes would produce better lighting than the spiral. Theres $10 free shipping 7watt cfl 6500k from this website 7 Watt T10 Tube CFL Light Bulb - #14092 | LampsPlus.com. I think 2 of those will give you the light you want! Spiral bulbs are definitely cheaper, but imo tube work better when faced horizontally.
Wire it up to a switch you can get from a hardware store. Just for the fixture, it will cost you maybe less than 15-25 bucks depending on what you get. Then you can get materials from homedepot to make your hood and reflector (You can get those aluminum vent tube that's cut in half as the reflector, only costs like 3-4 bucks. Or you can use white paint, or aluminum tape. And you can get some plastic sheets to make the hood, or wood, or any material you want, for really cheap). Make sure to measure correctly so the hood can rest on top of your aquarium. I would say you will spend about $20-40 for this project including the price of the bulbs.

Now if you wanted T5 or T8 fluorescent system... try to find a cheap used (but working) ballast from ebay. If not, a sugarcube ballast from fulham can cost around $10-20. A single f14t8 bulb (f is watts, t is type) is 15 inches and 14 watts and will probably give you medium lighting. You can use this ballast: SC-120-115-CT8. You can also go for two f8t5, which imo will look better if you mix two kinds of bulbs, but now youll be leaning towards high light. Use this ballast: SC-120-208-LT5 . You will also need to get sockets. t8 sockets is cheaper and can find them almost every hardware store. t5 probably need to buy online, which will cost anywhere from $6-10 for a pair.
The t8 set up will probably cost $35-40 guesstimate while the t5 will cost a bit more $40-45 (because of the sockets).
Brotip* save more money by getting one of those 15 inch undercabinet fixtures that sometimes sell for about $20. Then just replace the bulb (if needed) and fit it in a hood and reflector.

If not, you can always skip the hassle and just get the fugeray LED 12 inch and set it up like this Finnex FugeRay strong enough?. Its $44 on amazon... 16 inch is $52... I dont know any other small LED fixtures...
or just get a clip on lamp fixture with a 13-15 watt clf... (probably the smartest to do since its a small tank and its very cheap/effective )
But hey, this is just advice, you can do whatever the bleep you want to do!:dance:

Attachments

• diagram 1.jpg
    diagram 1.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 40
  • diagram 2.jpg
    diagram 2.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 48
Back
Top Bottom