Starting a betta tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TigerBarbs

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ive had aquariums for years, fresh and salt. Right now, I have a 29 gallon saltwater reef setup. I haven't had a betta in a while so I got one today and he's in a half moon bowl. I want to go pretty serious with it. I don't want it to look like everybody else's first betta tank. I want it really natural looking. I think I want live plants but I've never done them. I'm looking for a tank kit at the moment like a tetra brand or similar. Any recommendations for a tank? Any betta advice will be appreciated... It's been a while since I've had a betta.

Congrats on your Betta! A 5+ gal tank is recommended, plus a filter and heater. I'm guessing the tank won't be cycled, correct? Here's a link in case you haven't seen it: Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

I have mine in a FLuval Chi (5 gal). It's pretty original looking and I have some live plants in it, my betta seems happy (pic below). As he grows though he's looking rather large for the tank so I might upgrade him to a 7.5 gal bowfront: Mr. Aqua Frameless Bow Front Glass Aquarium Tank

Attachments

• DSC00484.JPG
    DSC00484.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
I am short on space, I got a tetra half moon with a little LED light. No filter or heater, I will be doing water changes weekly or more if needed. I'll be super careful feeding too. I'll post pics when I put him in tomorrow! Its all set for him, just waiting for the water to get ready. Do bettas like any salt?

1.1, but how do they last in pet stores in those little cups then. The water sits at 73-74

They may last, but they don't thrive. Also, the cups are only meant to be temporary. Bettas prefer water that is between 78-80F. They are tropical fish, not cold water fish. They can live in the cups because they are hardy fish in general.

Good plan! Also, the 1.1 is a little on the small side for a betta, but with frequent water changes you should be ok.

It should be fine. Most preset heaters are set for 78 which is in the acceptable range for Bettas.

What's the all around BEST staple food for bettas? Blood worms? Also is there anything else besides peas that is good to clean them out once a week for them. Mines looking a little too fat. Hes not pooping much either. I didn't feed him today.

A good betta pellet like hikari is a good staple food. Just soak it in tank water to soften it before feeding. Bloodworms are a good treat, but not a good staple. Frozen bloodworms are infinitely better than freeze dried, because freeze dried is more likely to swell in the fish's intestinal tract if not fully soaked before feeding. Frozen have more nutrition as well. Just be sure to defrost them fully and don't overfeed. Remember, a betta's stomach is the size of his eye. Frozen brine shrimp are a good treat, too, although if you feel like hatching your own live baby brine shrimp your betta will be one happy fish!

I have nls but they sink so fast! He doesn't usually get to em. Right now I have nutrafin betta flakes with mixed in freeze dried blood worms. Ive been feeding 2-3 flakes once a day and he's getting bloated. I don't get it.

Back
Top Bottom