Starting a betta tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just soaked NLS small fish formula pellets in water and fed them slowly to him one by one and went nuts over them!

Attachments

• image-870559175.jpg
    image-870559175.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 67
If those are plastic plants, you might want to remove them. They are notorious for shredding a betta's finnage.

Poop! I never thought about that! But I soaked them so there'd be soft and they would expand before they get into his stomach

Freezedried foods are really the only ones you have to be concerned about soaking first, as they expand when hydrated. It was good that you thought of it, but with the pellets, it's not necessary.

I'm always happy to hear someone wants a betta fish! They're incredibly hardy, insanely colorful, and best of all - you're saving them from crap-filled cups in the pet store! :lol:

One thing I wanted to mention; don't gauge pet store tank conditions as something your fish should/could live in.
A pet store's sole objective is to sell fish. They are temporary, cramped, money-saving conditions - and FAR from ideal for any fish.

How many times have you seen green spotted puffers in all FW setups? African and new world cichlids in the same tanks? 100s of glowfish in a 10 gallon? Bettas in little plastic cups? etc. etc. etc.
These are "liveable" for the SHORT-TERM, but definitely not something these fish would ever thrive in.

Think about it; pet stores sell oscar fish out of 10 gal tanks. Could/Would you keep an oscar in a 10 g forever? I hope not... :)

Either way, congrats on the new betta - he looks awesome!!

Just wanted to shed some light on the pet store topic lol

My heater comes tomorrow! Also got frozen bloodworms for a treat lets see how he likes em.

If you don't have other fish to feed the bloodworms to, try smashing the cube with a hammer or something, defrosting a small piece, and keep the rest frozen in a plastic bag to avoid wasting the vast majority of a cube to feed the betta. Remember they have a tiny stomach and should only eat maybe a half of a bloodworm at a time, maybe a whole small one.

Yep I bought a flat pack so I don't have to fiddle with cubes. That's what I do with mysis for my reef tank!

Got a deep blue betta stik heater 7.5 watts and checked it this morning and it was 86!!!!! It said betta stik not betta cooker!! Unplugged and getting returned. Makes my mad

Just hatched brine shrimp for my reef tank and tossed some in with the betta and he went nuts!! Loves them!

Just got 2 ghost shrimp for the tank and I was nervous when they were floating in the bag cus the betta was watchin their every move lol. They dont bother each other though.

Good to see your betta project seems to be doing well! Just throwing in my diet tips, and I agree with previous posts that frozen bloodworms are 10x better than freeze dried. I give my two males half a soaked worm in place of a morning meal twice a week, and do my regular pellet feeding at night. They love it!

Good to see your betta project seems to be doing well! Just throwing in my diet tips, and I agree with previous posts that frozen bloodworms are 10x better than freeze dried. I give my two males half a soaked worm in place of a morning meal twice a week, and do my regular pellet feeding at night. They love it!

I too just got a Betta a few days ago. How often should I be feeding him? He didn't eat his first day here even though I provided food. So far I have been feeding once a day. I am using Hikari Betta food. I can easily provide a frozen bloodworm treat, but how often? Right now he's alone in a 29g planted tank. He's very friendly and comes to the front of the tank when he sees a person. I really am pleased with him and want to do what's best by way of feeding him.

brennae said:
I too just got a Betta a few days ago. How often should I be feeding him? He didn't eat his first day here even though I provided food. So far I have been feeding once a day. I am using Hikari Betta food. I can easily provide a frozen bloodworm treat, but how often? Right now he's alone in a 29g planted tank. He's very friendly and comes to the front of the tank when he sees a person. I really am pleased with him and want to do what's best by way of feeding him.

Nice to hear that he's got so much room! Haha, I'd be thrilled if I was that betta. I use the standard size pellets and feed 3-4 in the morning and 2-3 evenings. I always pay close attention to how hungry they seem when they go after the food to determine how much, because sometimes they're just not in the mood, which is fine. I've seen it recommended to give bloodworms treats once or twice a week in place of a meal, as part of a healthy diet, just make sure frozen are thoroughly soaked before.

I have 5 Bettas, 2 males & 3 females. ALL of mine eat like little piglets. My 2 females who share a tank with 2 other fish eat the most. I feed them 3-4 pellets once a day & they still eat the algae wafers meant for their tankmates. My males I usually give 2 pellets in the morning & 2 in the evening. Mine all eat the Top Fin Betta pellets with no problems, I don't soak them 1st.

You will thoroughly enjoy having them, they have personality. My one male Simon does his little happy fish dance when I talk to him. I get much enjoyment out of them & I find it relaxing watching them flow through the water. My males just need bigger homes which will be happening soon.

Back
Top Bottom