starting a cycle with used filters. Do I need Ammonia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gregcuoz

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok, bout to start my cycle. Many have told me my 2 used Penguin 350s will speed the cycle process immensley. So Do I:

a) Fire up the filters and run the water through for 24 hrs without adding ammonia and then test the water to see if its needed

B) start the cycle with Ammonia

Thoughts?

Do you plan on doing a fishless or fishin cycle?

Fishless! Im all set up. Just gotta run to the Petsmart on 63 and grab some seachem prime and wanted to know if I should grab ammonia too. Got a FX5 and 2 300 watt Fluval heaters. Sand is in, and about 1/4 of the water in. Went to Nemos for the gear. Its not Nemos anymore. Its Natural pet

Yes, you need to get ammonia. You have to feed the bacteria that is in the filters. :) Using seeded filters, you may cycle very quickly, but without ammonia, the bacteria will die off.

Thanks! I did not know Nemos changed their name! I can tell you where I got the Ace ammonia- theres an Ace Hardware in Southampton area (15mins from here) right off Street rd & 2nd St Pike on Knowles Ave and another in Plumsteadville area on 611. I believe theres few others (lansdale, perkasie?) too.

Ok- for a fishless cycle you will need ammonia. Your used filter media will help speed things up alot! You will either need run the filters with the used media at the same time as your new filter or put the used filter media in your new filter. Add your ammonia up to 4ppm & check your parameters daily. Re-add ammonia when you see it drop below 2ppm. And keep a close eye on your ph for changes (changes mean its time for a water change). Ask away if you have any questions!! :)

Thanks! I did not know Nemos changed their name! I can tell you where I got the Ace ammonia- theres an Ace Hardware in Southampton area (15mins from here) right off Street rd & 2nd St Pike on Knowles Ave and another in Plumsteadville area on 611. I believe theres few others (lansdale, perkasie?) too.

Ok- for a fishless cycle you will need ammonia. Your used filter media will help speed things up alot! You will either need run the filters with the used media at the same time as your new filter or put the used filter media in your new filter. Add your ammonia up to 4ppm & check your parameters daily. Re-add ammonia when you see it drop below 2ppm. And keep a close eye on your ph for changes (changes mean its time for a water change). Ask away if you have any questions!! :)

Thanks Jess!!! Jessica right? Wouldnt Lowes have the ammonia needed? Theres a Lowes right next to Petsmart. Home Depot maybe, If Lowes doesnt have it? I know Im looking for pur 100% ammonia.

Nope! Trust me, I have checked everywhere & then some! Take a little drive down County Line rd, make left on 2nd Str Pike, go a couple of traffic lts & Knowles Ave is on your right at a light. The store is right there but they have weird hours so check online what they are. Its called Strathmann Hardware or home improvement- something like that. Ill save you the driving around & looking for it! If you get stuck, let me know!

Nope! Trust me, I have checked everywhere & then some! Take a little drive down County Line rd, make left on 2nd Str Pike, go a couple of traffic lts & Knowles Ave is on your right at a light. The store is right there but they have weird hours so check online what they are. Its called Strathmann Hardware or home improvement- something like that. Ill save you the driving around & looking for it! If you get stuck, let me know!

I know exactly where it is. I went to Lowes (before I got your reply). They has lemon ammonia, NO, and just ammonia that was clear. No ingredients so I did a trick I saw on youtube, I shook it. It bubbled so I knew it was no good. No bubbles would have been a yes. I called ace and they closed at 8! Ugggg! another night goes by with me starting my cycle.
Alls not lost though. I grabed prime at petsmark along with media for my FX5.
I will get to ACE tomorrow. Thanks for all the help Jess

Ah, a week in a sealed bag? Room Temp I hope..... H'mm do you have any used substrate from same tank? That helps as well.

I had to do that once in a pinch.....

Back
Top Bottom