starting a fishless cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
okay I will :)) can I go ahead and turn the temp down a little ? do I keep the media in the tank a while? I am familiar but its so confusing to me.. I couldnt of done it with out your help and others! thank you so much!!!

Def leave the media be- I believe its the reason behind your great numbers! Yes, you can start to gradually turn down the temp. Do this over the next few days though, a degree every 2-3hrs or so- very gradual as to not shock your bacteria (which can be tempermental to change). Good luck!!!

I honestly would leave it be for now. Once you have fish & eveything has been stable for a bit, we can consider slowly removing it but i honestly would probably keep a bit in your filter permanently because of the issues with your ph. No sense in having your ph crash after finally getting fish! :)

alright so im going to get fish on saturday. can I just keep redosing and making sure everything zeros out??

edit: or could I do my big water change tonight then get fish tomorrow.night??

Yep, redose for now. You can skip the amm friday & do your big wcs if you want or dose fri & do your wcs on sat before going to purchase fish. Either will work! :)

I think im gonna do my water change tonight and get fish tomorrow after.work.is that cool?
ammo 0
nitrites 0
ph 7.5
nitrates 90

NO >:) hahaha jk. okay I will for sure :)!! im getting 2 gold gouramis & 6 neon tetras for now

im havin some trouble with my temp going down its at 85..i need it at 80

What are the nitrate levels out of your tap? You may need to do another wc or two if your tap is alot lower. Your temp wont go down immediately- you can turn the heater off (unplug it) & let the water gradually cool down. Check it every half hr until it reaches the temp you want & then you can turn the heater back on to maintain the temp. If your house is very warm, it may be a bit difficult to cool- you can try adding slightly cooler water with a water change to gradually reduce the temp as well.

nitrites 0
ammo .25....?!?!
my tap is ammonia is .50..
is this normal??

Good job! The amm out of your tap will be converted by your bacteria so no worries! Just make sure you are using a decent conditioner that will bind ammonia when you do wcs in the future with fish (such as prime or amquel plus). Looks like your all set! :)

Back
Top Bottom