starting a frag tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK so actually I'm gonna go with the innovative marine 30 gallon. I have done a ton of research and know what is needed. I plan on have 3 or 4 height levels of egg crate for frags. I am going to get the innovative marine nuvo nano protein skimmer and the minimax all in one media reactor for the back to compartments in the tank. But now I have a couple questions...this will not attach to my 55 DT it will be a separate system. I have two taotronics 120 w led lights over my 55 and was wondering should in use the same lighting for the frag tank? The lights on my 55 have kept all corals clams and anemones so I imagine it would be fine with one over the 30 gallon am I correct? Also should I have a sand bed I know its user preference but what are some pros and cons of having a sand bed and not having one? Also what should I keep in there besides coral? I was thinking some snails, hermits, peppermint shrimps, cleaner shrimp, and possibly a six line wrasses (as I have read the eat flatworms and other bad things that can be on coral), would these be ok? Thank you in advance for the help. Also I have kept my 55 up for over two years now so I know about the upkeep and cycling.

Someone? I'm trying order everything on Friday so I can start cycling by next weekend

The taotronics led will do great over the 30 frag tank. In terms of what to keep in it, that is another question in itself. I would stay away from fish, as many frag tanks are fish less. I'm assuming you want a wrasse to eat away possible pyramid snails? But many frag tanks are coral only, lacking other inhabitants assists with water quality.

I am following along since I've thought for a while now that having a frag tank would be a fun side project. I have no experience with keeping a frag tank, but I would think no sand would be the best way to go.. I am mainly basing this off of every frag tank I have seen at lfs

Agreed, most frag tanks are bare bottom as well. Keep the build simple, tank and egg crate frame. You could add live rock and build the frame around it for additional filtration.

I'm also in the process of setting up a frag tank. Im going bare bottom as suggested already and also plan on a wrasse for pest control and a fish or two for algae removal. Also, i painted the bottom of the tank to contrast the coral colors. Looking forward to any pics!

Yea I am gonna order the tank, skimmer, and rock on Friday...I have a third taotronic that got damaged by crack in the roof and rain but blues work figure that can be used for cycling period and setting up rocks and racks and then order or fix a new taotronic. I really like the idea of setting up some rock and building egg crate around it. Kieth saw your thread I'm following I really like the black bottom I might do the same its great idea. I'll start posting pics as I receive stuff.

On another note...I am wondering about the minimax all in one reactor...I have never used a reactor I known they are good for corals, am incorrect in saying that? If so what should I run through it? GFO, biopelets, or carbon?

I've never used the minimax reactor but I do run three other different ones (brs dual, phosban 150, and nextreef mr1) and I do advocate their use. I've also never used biopellets but plenty of people have great success with that too, but I do believe you need to make sure the discharge water enter the area your intake for your skimmer is though. Hopefully someone else who uses those will comment. I do run phosphate removal products and carbon and I'm a believer those help keep parameters stable along with a regular PWC schedule.
I also like the idea of having the lighting the same to help your corals acclimate better from your DT to the frag tank.

Well some bad news gonna have to put this project off for a couple weeks got in a car accident last night not my fault but other driver didn't have insurance its just a nice size dent on my front quarter panel by driver side wheel so gonna hold off on buying rock and skimmer etc. Until I see what its gonna cost to get fixed but still plan on ordering at least the tank tomorrow...but I'll tell you when the accident occurred last night (like I said it wasn't bad) the first thing that I thought of was dang it now I'm gonna have to wait another couple weeks til I can get this tank start cycling :( is that bad? Lol

Also figured since I'm gonna have to put this off for about two weeks is that I can finally finish my canopy for my 55

OK got my tank this past Friday but had a leak :( but shipped back and will be receiving a new one but got my protein skimmer and heater so once I get the tank back the cycle will start!

Back
Top Bottom