starting a planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Feynman

Aquarium Advice Activist
For a person's first planted aquarium, is it easier to try a larger (say 38 ) or smaller (say 10)?

Larger aquariums are always going to be easier in general, and where plants are concerned so many of them grow way to long/tall for a 10 gal. This is all going to be limited to a huge extent by what kind of lighting you have. Nice 6500K PC lighting on a 10 is going to yield better results than two 15watt standard fluoro's on your basic 55gal hood.

I would start with the bigger tank. It is still small enough to upgrade lights, can use DIY co2 yet big enough for many plants. If you check out aquarium plants on the web, you can find out the max size. Good luck, it's a whole new challenge but rewarding.

Well, two people makes a trend. I'm going to do it then. 38 gal -> 38 gal planted.... sometime soon.

two tanks are great! i'm plannin to have one tanking breeding shrimps like crazy and then move them to the big tank =D

Bigger is better. I feel that it gives you more room for error, and I'm pretty good at error :) However, if maintenance time is an issue, smaller may be the way to go, although I don't think the amount of time necessary to take care of of 38G as opposed to a 10G would be significant. Hint: go for the 38G you won't regret the extra room once you get bit by the plant bug :wink:

I agree - I got a 30 gal and thought it would be more room than I could fill up, but now I go to the lfs and stare at the BIG tanks.

By the way, travis your Mbuna tank is amazing. I almost had an O when I saw it!

OMG travis!!! What a beautiful tank . I thought those pictures in the "Natural Aquarium World" were impossible to achieved but you've proved otherwise. I'm going to forgo my 55gal and head straight for a 75gal or larger. You're an inspiration to all planted aquarists :wink:

Back
Top Bottom