Starting a tank with components from a mature tank...would it still cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jillyd.713

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I live in a rural area, and have so far only been able to get my hands on about 4 lbs of live rock for my 10 gallon nano tank. None of my lfs' have been able to get more live rock in due to minimum purchase amounts from dealers being above their stocking abilities.

I was just contacted by a friend who is helping someone dismantle their 140 gallon SW tank. He is willing to sell parts of it, including live rock, inverts and fish.

I plan to absolutely buy live rock for the rest of my cycle (about 6 lbs), but what I am wondering is if I were to buy live sand from him to put in my aquarium (and maybe some of his water?), along with the live rock, would this prevent my tank from cycling, and therefore allow me to get fish and inverts from him right away? I feel like I would get a pretty smoking deal, and im going to be super choked if I have to turn down livestock due to an uncycled tank.

What are people's thoughts on this?

Im thinking it will definitely speed things up...thinking maybe i can add a fish right away if i go this route...maybe try and scramble to find a fish/invert sitter for a week or 2 just to make sure?

Back
Top Bottom