Starting all over

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqua315

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 28g bowfront that has been through a lot in 4 years. I think I tried to get fish that were out of my experience level and they ended up not doing too well. Now I only have 1 lone cherry barb left. Once the last fish goes, I want to start all over with more simple (and less expensive) fish. I plan on cleaning out the entire tank and recycling. I'll be using Tetra Safe-Start as I've had good luck with it in the past. Once I'm ready to add fish my stock will be:

3 guppies
6 tetras (most likely red minors)
3 plattys or 3 mollies
2 cory cats

After I may decide to add a couple snails or shrimp. I know I shouldn't get all the fish at once as it may be too much for the tank to handle but which should I get first? How many do I add at once?

Well first off google fish less cycle and follow the steps closely. You need to buy a API liquid test kit to in order to cycle properly. It will probably take about a month to cycle. As far as stock goes after the cycle I would get something like

3- Guppies 1 m 2 f
6- Tetras
6- Corys they need bigger groups than just 2

3- platys smaller than mollies but same body style I would get 1m 2 f or all the same sex if you don't want fry.

Well first off google fish less cycle and follow the steps closely. You need to buy a API liquid test kit to in order to cycle properly. It will probably take about a month to cycle. As far as stock goes after the cycle I would get something like

3- Guppies 1 m 2 f
6- Tetras
6- Corys they need bigger groups than just 2

3- platys smaller than mollies but same body style I would get 1m 2 f or all the same sex if you don't want fry.

I've never had any issues using TSS and I've always hated the idea of trying a fishless cycle. I've seen way too many nightmare posts on this site from people who have unsuccessfully tried a fishless cycle and 1-2 months later have nothing but frustration. I really don't want to wait a month and dose with chemical grade ammonia. All the tutorials I've read can't even tell you how much ammonia to use! I'm not sure why everyone seems so against TSS and insists on a month-long nightmare of daily testing and dosing.

If your four year tank has a running filter right now, why start all over with the cycle?
Give the tank and filter a good cleaning, keeping the same media and you're set to go.

What happened when you say they ended up not doing well and what kind of fish were they?

I've never had any issues using TSS and I've always hated the idea of trying a fishless cycle. I've seen way too many nightmare posts on this site from people who have unsuccessfully tried a fishless cycle and 1-2 months later have nothing but frustration. I really don't want to wait a month and dose with chemical grade ammonia. All the tutorials I've read can't even tell you how much ammonia to use! I'm not sure why everyone seems so against TSS and insists on a month-long nightmare of daily testing and dosing.

90% of the posts complaining about fishless cycling are 2 - 3 weeks in age with people not understanding what's going on. It's really nowhere near as bad as you are thinking it is. Daily testing is even unnecessary give it a try, you might be surprised.

If your four year tank has a running filter right now, why start all over with the cycle?
Give the tank and filter a good cleaning, keeping the same media and you're set to go.

What happened when you say they ended up not doing well and what kind of fish were they?

I have a filter with old media but I'm afraid to continue using it because it's been a long time since I had a full tank of fish. For the past few months I've gone from 4 fish down to one. I'm afraid there's not enough bb left in the filter to handle more fish.

It didn't do well because I tried more sensitive fish like gbr's and apistos. I think I also stocked too much at once and my tank was probably overstocked. Then one fish got sick and I tried dosing the tank with medicine. He got better to the point I though I could stop dosing but then he went downhill again fast and died quickly. After that, the rest of my fish just slowly started dying off.

I have a filter with old media but I'm afraid to continue using it because it's been a long time since I had a full tank of fish. For the past few months I've gone from 4 fish down to one. I'm afraid there's not enough bb left in the filter to handle more fish.

It didn't do well because I tried more sensitive fish like gbr's and apistos. I think I also stocked too much at once and my tank was probably overstocked. Then one fish got sick and I tried dosing the tank with medicine. He got better to the point I though I could stop dosing but then he went downhill again fast and died quickly. After that, the rest of my fish just slowly started dying off.

Maybe you can get media from someone else's tanks and remember, you only need one fish to start a cycle.

It wasn't until I started getting into the more sensitive fish years ago that I really learned about fishkeeping, I mean fish like angels, GBR, discuss and many others. The tip I always got from breeders and advanced fish keepers was simple, do regular massive water changes and it wasn't until I apply that rule on myself that I started seeing big changes, fish growing at faster rates and healthier than before. So as an old timer fish keeper the best advice I can give you when you start all over is to stick with the basics, regular water changes, good diet and water temperature. Keeping fish is not difficult at all, it's just a commitment.
Good luck!

Could I maybe jump-start a cycle by using my old media (even though theres probably not much bb left in it) and adding TSS to supplement?

Absolutely use your old filter media to get your new tank cycled. Even though it may not be much in it, it is still MUCH quicker than having nothing at all in the filter. It will grow as you add bio-load slowly. OS.

+1 to using your old filter media. Some bacteria is better than none. Also using the same gravel will preserve a small portion of bacteria too. Give it a good vacuum and slowly, slowly add fish while making sure to keep on top of water changes. That or find a new home for your last fish and start a fish-less cycle with the existing media. Remember it will take time, so be patient! :)

Back
Top Bottom