Starting DIY 3D background

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I got a call this morning and my sikatop came in, two weeks ended up being two days lol. Got my first coat on and it looks awesome. I will post some pics when I get a chance. I also test fitted the background in the tank and it looks very nice. I had to cut my background into sections ,which I expected to do due to a cross brace.

Well I got a call this morning and my sikatop came in, two weeks ended up being two days lol. Got my first coat on and it looks awesome. I will post some pics when I get a chance. I also test fitted the background in the tank and it looks very nice. I had to cut my background into sections ,which I expected to do due to a cross brace.

Cant wait to see it!

Well I got it all coated and siliconed in, a few pics to see how it looks let me know your opinions. I didn't go as fancy as some but I think it looks awesome. Hopefully after work tomorrow I can get the sand cleaned and get it filled.

Great job

Thanks for documenting your project so well. I have zippo artistic skills. What sharp implements did you use to carve out the negative spaces? I might give this a try. Thanks again

Wayne

Deckape said:
Thanks for documenting your project so well. I have zippo artistic skills. What sharp implements did you use to carve out the negative spaces? I might give this a try. Thanks again

Wayne

I just used a steak knife and heat gun.

Yeah I just used a steak knife also. And to add extra texture I would scrape it along the smooth spots in the foam so it roughed it up. Best part is precise doesn't really apply other than sizing it to fit your tank. Just hack and slash away.

kdpuffer said:
Yeah I just used a steak knife also. And to add extra texture I would scrape it along the smooth spots in the foam so it roughed it up. Best part is precise doesn't really apply other than sizing it to fit your tank. Just hack and slash away.

Thanks fellas I appreciate that

well here is a pic of the tank with water in it. i got an ehiem pro 3 filter, forget the number but its rated for 90 gallons. the water has cleared up nicely since i took this so ill take another pic of it now. im playing with the lighting trying to find something i like. this pic is with only actinic lamps in. i kinda like the look, it is my frontosa tank and they reside deep in lake tanganyika so i think its a more natural lighting setup. im gonna check out something in the 6000 kelvin range just to see the difference.

Well the water has cleared up alot and I decided to add a plant into the mix to add some color. I also switched the lighting over to daylight bulbs to provide better lighting for the plant. Not sure what kind of plant, the guy at the LFS couldn't recall and the price was right- FREE it looks quite majestic and peaceful swaying away in the current

So here are some new pics of my tank. I've picked up a few things. Have a couple petricola catfish, will be adding more eventually. Also got some goldhead compressiceps, ventralis, and some more frontosas. Before anyone says anything I already have plans in motion for a bigger tank so save the comments. Given the size of the fish the 55 is fine for the time being. The ventralis I got are a great addition, the fronts and goldheads tend to just chill and hover and the ventralis tend to move around the tank so it adds a little action.

I like the comps, very mellow fish and add a splash of yellow to the tank. My fav are the fronts, though I find I really enjoy the ventralis. They tend to move around a little more which wakes everyone up. I was told I have 1 male and 3 females but can't find any resources to verify the claim. I had foai before and when in spawn the males look absolutely amazing so I hope I can have the same luck with the vents. Going back to the comps, one has a dislocated upper jaw. I had the same thing with my calvus I had and it didn't effect the fish but anyone know a way to correct it? Not a big issue like I say the fish is fine and eats ok, actually looks kinda cool, it looks a horn similar to a rhino. Goldhead rhinosiceps lol

Back
Top Bottom