Starting Fishless Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AngelJones

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All, I'm starting my first fishless cycle in a 38 gallon bowfront with a penguin bio-wheel 200. I read that I can use something from my existing take to jump start the bacteria growth. Is this something you recommend? I have a 5 gallon with 3 guppies, and a filter cartridge that needs changed, can I put that old cartridge in my new tank to start the growth? Thank you!

Hi All, I'm starting my first fishless cycle in a 38 gallon bowfront with a penguin bio-wheel 200. I read that I can use something from my existing take to jump start the bacteria growth. Is this something you recommend? I have a 5 gallon with 3 guppies, and a filter cartridge that needs changed, can I put that old cartridge in my new tank to start the growth? Thank you!
Hi AngelJones:

Yes, if the filter cartridge was in your 5g long enough for a colony of nitrifying bacteria to get established, then it could certainly help establish the cycle in your new tank. If it will fit, you might want to put the old cartridge in the media chamber of your new Penguin filter. If not, then see if you can put it somewhere near the Penguin's intake tube. It'll look kind of ugly for awhile but it's only temporary.

Scissors and knives are great for cutting cartridges into pieces that fit, too. Mesh media bags are cheap if there are loose bits inside!

Back
Top Bottom