Starting my aquascaping project...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishenthusiast

Aquarium Advice Addict
With the inspiration of a a fish keeping magazine, I have decided to make my tank into an aquascape. Once I am done soaking a few pieces of driftwood, I will remove the fake driftwood from my tank. Everything will be "natural"... well, it should be. I've started to use the PPS Pro method of fertilization, along with Flourish Excel as a liquid carbon. My tank will not be completely planted in the front because of the Cory Cats that I have. Here is my question: are there any reliable plant websites that I can mail order from? I am looking for a plant website that doesn't have crazy shipping costs/disappointing results. Foster and Smith's LiveAquaria is already out of the question for me as they don't have the plant varieties I'm looking for. Here are some examples:

Hygrophilia pinnatifida
Cryptocoryne albida
Cryptocoryne petchii
Cryptocoryne wendtii 'brown'
Cryptocoryne wendtii 'green'
Bolbitis heudelotii
Marsilea crenata
Fontinalis antipyretica
Eleocharis acicularis
Crinum calamistratum
Java Moss
Dwarf Hairgrass (maybe)

Thanks for the help!

VERY NICE!
Going natural is always great for you and for you fish.
Please post progress pictures.
I would love to see them!

I have ordered from aquariumspants.com and is very reliable. The plants always arrive in great condition and they have a large selection of plant species.

Finding a good seller and ordering off of aquabid (ebay of the aquarium world) can always work. Some people have some good deals with low or even free shipping on there.
I also second the notion of aquariumplants.com

Peabody's paradise is a great place. Very reasonable shipping cost(cheapest I've found) and great plants.

You can check out the classified section here too. There are always people selling quality plants at reasonable rates. Post a 'wanted' if your looking do something specific

Can I cut the roots of my Amazon Sword plants? I'm in the process of moving plants around to make more room for other plants. The roots for my Amazon Swords are MASSIVE, so it would be a pain to replant them in their current form.

I would say it was ok to cut back the roots to a manageable planting size. Dont go overboard though

I would say it was ok to cut back the roots to a manageable planting size. Dont go overboard though

Okay. I'll probably leave about 2-3 inches of roots on the swords. They love my substrate, so I think they'll regrow their roots to enormous size pretty fast.

VERY NICE!
Going natural is always great for you and for you fish.
Please post progress pictures.
I would love to see them!

Thank you! I will take a picture each month to show you my progress. Here are the before and after photos of fake driftwood and real driftwood:

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388720908.888146.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388720945.705566.jpg

Sorry about my first photo. I forgot to take a photo before I did the huge rearrangement of plants.

Thank you! I will take a picture each month to show you my progress. Here are the before and after photos of fake driftwood and real driftwood:

Sorry about my first photo. I forgot to take a photo before I did the huge rearrangement of plants.

Wow the tank is looking Great!
Good job!

Thank you all! I'm going to make a new thread about my aquascaping project that will have multiple updates. Basically, it will be like a journal. I will talk about possible plant additions too. The thread should be entitled "Fish enthusiast's aquascaping journal"

Back
Top Bottom