starting my GSPs tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No the minimum tank requirements are 30gal, thats after doing lots of research. He is still very small and have time to find a bigger tank.

There are different ways of cycling your tank. I tried finding pure ammonia but failed. All the ones I saw had additives, or would foam when you shook the bottle.

You can use raw shrimp, you can just seed the tank. Washing the filter from an established tank in the new tank water. You can take a piece of the same filter and stick it in with the new filter. Take decorations from an established tank. Theres lots of ways of cycling.

Although when you seed a tank you have to have an ammonia source for the bacteria to live and spread. Although it's possible the pond snails might have done that for you but idk.

Well i don't know how it happened then lol.
But we used nutrifin cycle, added snails, i bought the sand from someone with an established tank. and i washed my good 55galons filters in the water. And then levels are still the same.

Hey ilovemydragongoby, just wanted to throw my $0.02 in here, as I have a Green Spotted Puffer also! He is currently residing in a 10 gallon tank (I know this is too small, he will be much happier soon in a 72 bowfront), and he is at full marine salinity. He is completely happy at this salinity level!

Honestly, I'd just move yours up there now, rather than waiting until he is 4" or so and having to completely redo the tank at that point. Just make sure you do it gradually with 10% water changes once a week, replacing your old water with saltwater that is @ 0.023-0.025, until your whole tank's SG is 0.023 or so. Once you do this, you can use live rock to help with your bio filtration, and you can also use marine hermits and snails to help with your cleanings!

One tip I can also offer about which snails and hermits to use is this: mine loves to eat Astraea Snails and Scarlet Hermits. This may be a personality trait of my individual, but I do not know. I have luck with Mexican Turbo Snails and Bumblebee Snails, and for hermits I just have Redleg and Blueleg Hermits, and he leaves them alone for the most part.

Hope this helps and I don't sound like an idiot rambling! ;)

thanks for the input, i appreciate every little bit. but at the momment im not in the right financial situation to get the apropriate equipment to have a marine tank. right now he's in low end brackish water. we just moved him to his 30gal tank on sunday. i'll post pics soon, i tried the other day but there was a problem with the site.

i know i've heard of people running a fowlr with the same equipment for fw/bw . i have to look into it. but i've also heard that gsps dont actually have to go full marine, just high end brackish. (i know the say they are happier in full marine)

I have two GSPs. I have upped their salt over the last few months and now at full salt. 1.022. They seem to be much happier at full salt. Eating better, and coloring is way brighter. I did not change any equipment, still running HOB filter. I was having problems keeping ammonia and nitrite in check, even with 30% water changes( very messy eaters) but now that I am full salt I added some live rock and water parms are now in check. GSPs do need a lot of room to explore. They are very curious. If you notice them swimming up and down the side of your tank its probably boredom. When mine start to do this I just rearage their furniture and they seem happy for a week exploring the new sceenery and caves. They love to eat clams and muscles. I get them from the fish department at the local grocery store. I normally get live muscles and keep them in the fridge. Take one out, open it a little with a knife then wash it good with water and toss it in, they grab it and rool around the tank with it going crazy. The shell is great for keeping their teeth ( beak) in check..
I am currently setting up a 120g tank for them as I know the one their in is to small. Going FOWLR and trying a trigger with them. Any one have some cheep live rock.....need 100lbs

90g reef 100lbs LR with 20g sump and 10g refugium
30g puffer tank
20g qt tank
120g FOWRL in the works
One wife who doesn't understand the obsession....LOL

Back
Top Bottom