starting my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adrian_0775

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
well did some research and have the sump done, have the protein Skimmer, order the light( whent for reef lighting just in case) wondering about the substrate, went to the LFS and saw 20lb live sand $29, aragonite 40 lbs $35, and crushed coral 40 lbs $31. just wondering what i should go with. also thinking of geting some live rock, base rock Mix.
can all rock become Live Rock? I ask because the LFS has Reef rock at 1.99 lb can i keep this in the tank for a few month mixed with some live rock before i stock it, will this Reef rock become live rock?

OK where to start. As far as the sand IMO I would get some dry sand. My opinion on that so called "live" sand is not too high. Just get dry aragonite sand and seed it with a few cups of LS from your LFS tanks. I`m telling you now that the CC will bring problems because it will trap fish waste and debris and cause heavy nitrates in your tank. As far as the rock I would get a combo of 70% of the dry base rock he has and 30% real LR that is wet. That will save you alot of money and you`ll be able to have some of the ocean critters in your tank. All of the rock in time will turn live by harboring nitrifying bacteria that will aid in your biological filtration. That`s the true definition of "Live" anyway. The critters are a bonus. They will migrate to your BR as your tank matures. If you use 100% BR then you wont get any critters or hitchikers as we call them. Good luck on the tank.

Thanks for the Advice I have posted the new pictures of my tank on my new album. i just saw your tank man that is a beutty!! I hope I have the same result..

I dont have an RO dont know if im going to buy one, will it be totally imposible to use tap water? if I choose to do so should i dechloronate before or after adding the salt? what should i test for? how long after testing would i have to wait to add water to the tank? once my tank is established would i have to wait for the test to be in the range or can i just add it to the tank?

I would suggesting trying to find somewheres where you can purchase ro water. I started off using tap water and now i am kicking myself. You will have such a rough time trying to control algea. It is worht the extra little money to purchase a unit ( cheap on ebay) or finding somewhere to purchase the water. just my opinion though.

Matt

Back
Top Bottom