Starting Over....kinda?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snoopybdb

Aquarium Advice Regular
My husband and I currently have a 30 gal reef tank set up. We bought a 75 gal reef ready overflow tank with a 30 galf or the sump. My current tank is filtered by a emperor hob filter. I've never had a tank with a sump before so i'm not quite sure how to set it up. After researching ,my idea is to have the water flow from the tank into a trickle basket with a filter in it for large particles under that the water would flow through bioballs or live rock, or maybe both?? <-- any suggestions after that the water would flow though a filter for mirco particles in to the far side of the sump to be pumped back up to the tank. I have a uv sterilizer on my 30 gal tank that i want to put on the 75 in the sump, but i'm not sure where to place it in the line. I was thinking to have the water come through it when it comes out of the tank since to do it with the pump that is to pump the water back to the tank will make it go through the uv sterilizer to fast. My other issue at this point is the lighting. On my 30 gal i have a current satellite 2x96w that is giving me 6.4 wpg. I would like to stay close to this as possible. One lfs guy suggested metal halide lighting, but i like my cf. A different lfs guy suggested the current nova t5 ho. which i like because it's like because it's like the light i have now. He told me that the wpg calculate differently than you would think because of it being ho. Is this true? According to my calculations the 4x54 would be 2.88 wpg and the 8x54 would be 5.72 wpg.
Any suggestions or opinions would be greatly appriciated! Thanks!

Place the Uv in return line, to prevent build up. and no it wont matter if its high out put its the same wpg im guessing you have 48" i would go with a orbit extreme. 4 130 watt bulbs, 520 watts which = 6.9 wpg. these arent cheap $500. there on sale for that Dr. F&S.

Back
Top Bottom