Starting to add real plants - I think it falls under getting started.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Noviceafter2yea

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Currently I have an established 20 gallon freshwater. It is inhabited by 2 platy (1 male, 1 female...other female just died), 2 julii cories (yes, I will be adding 3 more), 3 bleeding hear tetras (apparently need to add more as well), 1 Molly, 1 male guppie.

10 fish currently, should add 3 more, but don't want to overstock.

Ammonia and N2 are 0. N3 is high at 20, Ph 7.9, 79 farhenheit

Currently I have a bunch of fake plants, an "abandoned house" ornament, and a fake hollow log.

I would like to start adding real plants. I believe the light is a full spectrum T8. My filter came with the tank and is a top fin 20. I do not have an airstone in this tank.

Any suggestions for the 20? How do I QT the plants before actually adding them to the tank and am I only supposed to buy them from a tank that is devoted exclusively to plants?

Next: starting to cycle a 14 gallon. Filled with water today and used the bio bag from my established tank (I had two in there so I replaced one with a new pad while keeping the other used one in there).

The tank is an Aqueon. The lights kind of suck, I think. One of the 2 actually didn't work during my set up (tank bought off Craigslist, but new, in sealed package as were all accessories). Each bulb is 15W T10 120V whatever that means.

As of now, the tank is empty of fish. I put a piece of mowpani wood in which I has already been soaked.

It has been suggested I get neons - blue and green, rasporas (spelling?), and a blue ram I think - I asked for advice for "bright, glowy fish).

I have two batches of fry. The 7 week old group of 10 is currently in my QT. The newborn batch of 12 is in a makeshift 1 gallon with bubbler. I am desperately trying to many of them away, but am not having luck.

Therefore, between the two tanks, I have to plan on at least adding 7 platy fry to be safe. If I have to, I will get yet another 5 gallon QT to use as the QT in case I have to house the remaining fry until I can re home them.

All suggestions would be helpful. In the past, I tried adding a live plant, but I was really new and I don't even think I knew that I was supposed to cycle the tank - needless to say, there was white fluff everywhere.

Thanks for reading the long post.

Introducing Plants

Hello nov...

A 20 gallon is pretty small, but you can start with decent lighting. All plants need light, so a couple of T8s would really be needed even with lower light plants. Attached is a pic of a 20 gallon I keep. I started with a few Anubias plants attached to driftwood with some cotton sewing thread. I floated some Hornwort and Anacharis. I have a moss ball in there too, just for fun. Anyway, that's about all that can go into a small tank.

B

img_3039983_0_a717f987684c3109ebea6dbfe7ed231c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Hello nov...

A 20 gallon is pretty small, but you can start with decent lighting. All plants need light, so a couple of T8s would really be needed even with lower light plants. Attached is a pic of a 20 gallon I keep. I started with a few Anubias plants attached to driftwood with some cotton sewing thread. I floated some Hornwort and Anacharis. I have a moss ball in there too, just for fun. Anyway, that's about all that can go into a small tank.

B

img_3039986_0_a717f987684c3109ebea6dbfe7ed231c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

That is really pretty. So could I add just a few plants with all those fish I already have or is it just too small for both?

Also, are you saying the 1 T8 light is not sufficient? That is all the tank hood has spce for.

Back
Top Bottom