Starting with my first planted tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocminpin

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm starting to make my 10g Betta tank into a planted tank! Yay!

I'm ordering:

Wisteria x 1
Cryptocoryne Pontederiifolia x 2
Java Fern x 2

Will pick them up will call for $7.50 total.

Figure I'll start there and see how it goes...
I have a standard hood with 2 CFL bulbs.

Any suggestions? I'm told I don't need root tabs... I don't need them growing too fast. Just starting out with a lil fun :)

Sounds good. Do you plan to use any liquid fertilizer? Maybe two or three drops a week? Also be sure not to bury the java fern rhizome. Just set it on the top of the substrate.

Atxpunx said:
Sounds good. Do you plan to use any liquid fertilizer? Maybe two or three drops a week? Also be sure not to bury the java fern rhizome. Just set it on the top of the substrate.

I hadn't planned on using anything at all... I have a thin 1/2" layer of small gravel in the tank... Won't java fern float if I dont bury the roots

I suggest some anubias, they are really hardy and IMO look pretty nice. Also don't burry the rhizome on anubias either. You could also try some anachris they are also hardy and you could make a small jungle out of a bunch of them. The only problem i had with anachris was that they got uprooted kinda easy.

The rhizome will rot if buried, the rhizome is the horizontal thick green root that the leaves are coming out of. If you bury only the black roots it should be sufficient. Then as it grows, newer roots will grow into the gravel and anchor it better. Without fertilization you might be okay with only fish excrement and what's in the water, the wisteria will tell you if you need more fertilization by yellowing leaves and other signs of deficiency.

ocminpin said:
I hadn't planned on using anything at all... I have a thin 1/2" layer of small gravel in the tank... Won't java fern float if I dont bury the roots

Your gravel is too shallow. You may want to add some sand or more gravel.

Your Crypt needs root tabs and will appreciate deeper substrate. C pontederiifolia is a big Crypt.
Mine do well tho.

Java fern has thin roots coming off the thick rhizome. You can bury the roots. But it's easier to tie or glue the Fern to a rock or wood or decor. IMO.

Back
Top Bottom