Starving Oto

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

logansmomma1228

Aquarium Advice Addict
:( He won't eat! His little belly is sunken in. I have tried peas, cucumbers, zuchinni, shrimp pellets and algae wafers. He is in an established tank with algae. He still isn't eating. What can I do?

When did you get him? Oto's are known for having a high mortality rate. The best you can hope for (I'm assuming you got him in the past couple days?) is that he's still getting used to your tank. I guess you could check params again, but those are probably fine too. I think most oto's are mostly wild caught, (I've only heard a few cases of breeding otos in aquaria) and I think they're known for parasites. If you want to quarantine and try treating for parasites, I think that's the only active course of action you can take.

He is the survivor of the Oto Holocaust lol. This will be going on three weeks I have had him for. He has been in the established tank for probably 4 or 5 days now. Just did a water change about 2 days ago, all params are good to go (0,0,<10) .

I think he has fin rot. His tail looked chewed on, but when I looked at the pictures from when I first got him it looked the same so I can rule out fin nipping.

Thanks krap :)

Oh shoot, for some reason I was thinking mommytron posted this, and that's why... whatever

Anyways, when did you first notice him stop eating (terrible sentence...) Has it been ongoing? If he's been eating, and still staying skinny, that'd be a sign of internal parasites. (my oto's are always really really fat).

Pics would help to confirm :)

Have you tried nori yet? Hmm I agree with Krap, could be something botherin on the inside.

When I had a dp, oto's were the only fish that I could keep with them. Cories, guppies (I know, dumb...) and danios (who were to fast, but still occasionally got nipped) all didn't work. That said, this was like 6 months into me keeping fish, so I wasn't that smart then :p.

any chance you think your your puffer scared him so much he dont want to eat?
no, my puffer doesn't really mess with him.

Have you tried nori yet? Hmm I agree with Krap, could be something botherin on the inside.

What is nori? Sounds interesting...

Oh shoot, for some reason I was thinking mommytron posted this, and that's why... whatever

Anyways, when did you first notice him stop eating (terrible sentence...) Has it been ongoing? If he's been eating, and still staying skinny, that'd be a sign of internal parasites. (my oto's are always really really fat).

Pics would help to confirm :)
I will try and grab some pics tomorrow. I have not seen him eat once. His belly was rounder yesterday though.

Nori is the seaweed stuff that sushi comes in. It's dried, then rolled into "mats" for lack of a better term (or maybe rolled then dried).

Back
Top Bottom