Still thinking of what type of tank to start.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saywill

Aquarium Advice Activist
What do you guys think about a discus tank? I am trying to find a happy medium, I am used to vibrant colors from saltwater fish, but want to go freshwater this time around. I need ideas!!:troop:

Discus are rather fragile fish. They need the same level of attention to water quality as a reef tank. They do look awesome in a planted tank though.

I would have to say the lush and beautiful colors of a reef tank are very attractive, but for some reason planted tanks just blow me away. I would go for a beautiful planted tank.

What is required to have a planted tank? I know nothing about it, or what fish go well with it.

Discus are rather fragile fish. They need the same level of attention to water quality as a reef tank. They do look awesome in a planted tank though.
if you get discus as juvy this might be true or the really selective breed ones.

what size tank do you have?

it's a 55, i have had discus in the past, I have been out of the freshwater circuit for about 5 years.

i wouldnt do discus in a 55. personally i think a 75 gallon min for them or larger. they do get large and they are a schooling fish.

Back
Top Bottom