stingray substitute

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bettaowner

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 55 gallon aquarium with danios, tetras, loaches, cories, and a chocolate gourami. After I fed stingrays at seaworld I wanted one as a pet. Sadly freshwater rays are illegal in my state. I'm looking for a big peaceful fish that I can hand feed and teach tricks to. Do you have any ideas?:thanks::confused::fish1:

Hmm, I've read/seen on YouTube how fire eels and black ghost knifes can make for amazing fish to hand feed. But then again, some tetras and small fish may become snacks later on :/

The tetras are jumbo neons and bleeding heart tetras. I don't think they could be eaten. Is the 55 big enough for the knife fish. I like that idea. The fire eel sounds neat too. Problem is I have a small opening in the back. Would the eel try to escape or will I be fine if I provide multiple hiding areas.

Eels have been know to be great escape artists but I've never kept one myself. Not too sure about that. Someone may have to chime in here. However, I think a 55 would be plenty for a BGK provided there are plenty of places to hide as they're pretty much a nocturnal fish... Although they seem pretty active during the day. I've always wanted one. One of the coolest fish IMO.

Thanks. The knife fish is one of the fish I'll get one day. There's a pet store here that sells small 2 inch fish for about ten dollars. I might pick up one. What do they eat? I might get a fire eel if I can't provide the right food.

Good looking out! I've read they feed on most live foods, bloodworms and they may eat flake foods as well. I guess you really just have to experiment to find out what they like most. If they don't eat during the day, try feeding them at night. That kind of stuff I guess.

I would not do the BGK, they can get really large, but it does take a while. If you plan to upgrade to a much larger tank later on then it won't be as much of an issue.

I've got one that is about 5-6" currently, he's pretty shy during the day but still awesome to watch.

Would the fire eel work then? What about a glass knife fish? Are there any other fish you can suggest?

bettaowner said:
Would the fire eel work then? What about a glass knife fish? Are there any other fish you can suggest?

Oh! Oh! Go with a striped peacock eel! They are great fish.

A fire eel would not be suitable for a 55 gallon, they get very large, 20" + if I remember corrwctly

gobluewolverines4 said:
How much are all these eels? I'm interested but unless its $60>

My peacock was only $10. It will fit into a 55 just fine. Just have plenty of hiding spots.

Ok so the fire eel is out. Would a tire track eel work? I really like the idea of a tame fish so knife fish or eel. What other fish are out there?

I hand feed my knife fish & tire track eel plus there fun to watch...your going to need a sand or soft substrate for your eel

What do you guys feed your eels or knife fish?? I have a 150 gallon tank and was thinking about getting one.

Back
Top Bottom