Stirring around the sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nicolas

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just recently converted to sand in my tank and I was wondering if you should stir it up every few days to not get a carbon build up or if I get a couple bottom feeders if they will take care of all that. If I should get bottom feeders what should I get.

Never hurts to prod at the sand to help release tapped air...I'd suggest a group of cories as they love sand substrates...I keep sterbai,panda&peppered cities in my tanks...its seems like they're everywhere all at once...

I would recommend a few Malaysian trumpet snails they can multiply fast but they burrow through the sand and get rid of any has pockets. (Most places will just give them away)

I would recommend a few Malaysian trumpet snails they can multiply fast but they burrow through the sand and get rid of any has pockets. (Most places will just give them away)

+1 on the MTS, i use them in my tank with sand, and no worries if you have live plants they generally leave them alone, and even if they nibble they do very little damage if any that i can see.

bottom feeders are good in general but unless they are borrowers they will not be enough to stir the sand, corys will just sift the top layer and not do much else under that.

My dojo loach used to burrow. I'm not sure if it was normal. I only had it for a couple weeks when I was a rookie. Mp do some research on them...maybe if you get a few they will burrow around.

Back
Top Bottom