Stock list for 14 gal - please advise - purple stripe danio?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

siva

Aquarium Advice Addict
Stocking a new 14 gal and ordering some fish I can't find locally..yay :D I had asked a question about glo fish/zebra danios and decided they are best in a 20+ gal tank, but what about some of the other types of danio? I am interested in the chela dadybujori/purple stripe danio or the danio erythromicron/zebra rasbora..would either of these work in this tank? I'd also like to add some corydoras habrosus and boraras brigittae. How many of each of these can I add to this tank? I have zero hands on experience with these fish, haven't even seen them in person. TIA ;)

The danios and rasbora's I have to order by the 6's. I was thinking 12 rasbora and 6 danios? But I have to get 10 of the corydoras hasbrosus. If I can't fit them all, which I'm assuming I cannot, I will have to find room for the rest elsewhere.

I would go with 5 danios, 5 rasboras, and 4 cories. The other stocking is REALLY overstocked.

Are you familiar with these fish? They are "nano" fish. I've been told on this forum that the rasboras at full size are as small as red cherry shrimp and that keeping several in a 3 gal tank is fine. Corydoras hasbrosus grow up to .75". Tiny...half the size of a julii cory, which is already half the size of most other cories.

I would not go with the danios, but no personal experience with them (just based on other recommendations I have seen for them). The micro rasboras, you could get 12-15 with no problem. The cories, I would think 4 of them would be ideal, but that doesn't help if you have to home 10.

Last edited:
Okay..Are the purple line about the same size and termperment as the zebras? If so, I should be able to put them in my 29 or 55. I thought I'd be able to get away with at least 5 of those tiny cories though, since I see so many folks putting a few much larger cories in tanks of this size (which I wouldn't do). But I don't want to cram them. I've got more tanks so I can spread them out and make it work. I was looking at pics of other nano fish and none of them looked real impressive but I'm sure they are more attractive in person. I did want to have 3 things in here, can you reco a 3rd fish to help round out the community?

I think 5 would be ok.

How about a color of neocaridina instead of another fish?

Yeah neons might work. I could transfer them out of my 29 and put the danios in there. Hmmm...

I love my shrimp but I was really liking the idea of 3 kinds of tiny fish together ;)

Neons would be cool. They will dwarf the rasboras.

If you want something a little different, you could go with rummy nose or glowlights... I think that tank size would be appropriate for a small school of 1 or the other, along with the cories and ras.

I have glowlights in my 20..they are fairly new and I love them. They seem much hardier than the neons so far, as not a single one has died, and I feel like I have to buy 70 neons to end up with 7 lol. I had actually never seen those rummy nose tetra before. They look awesome. Doubt I'll find them locally though and the site I'm ordering from doesn't have them. What about Borneo redfin rasbora?

yeah those are cool. That would be a good option. Tough to find though I think.

I was thinking about the boraras cf. micros but I'm just not sure they look like they are worth what they cost.

They have them at this site I'm ordering the rest of the fish from I just can't seem to find info on how big they are. You think I can do 12 boraras brigittae and 6 of the borneo? Or just 6 of each?

yeah not quite as colorful... what about the yellow neon microdevarios (I think that's what they are called). They are cool looking and different.

Is that the burma yellow neon rasbora/microdevario kubotai?

They have them at this site I'm ordering the rest of the fish from I just can't seem to find info on how big they are. You think I can do 12 boraras brigittae and 6 of the borneo? Or just 6 of each?

I think you would be absolutely fine with 12 and 6 so long as the filtration is adequate and you plan to do regular PWCs.

You'll be good. You'll see what I mean when you get these fish. They are tiny.

Back
Top Bottom