stock numbers help? for new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keenfish

Aquarium Advice Regular
hi i been out the fish game for a while and its not like riding a bike. so i need help with my fish stock numbers for my new tank and any other ideas.
right i have a 6ft tank which is 600lt or 155 us gallons i think (im english) im running 2 fx5s (yes 2 i still know a bit) now i want to put discus, blue rams and red tailed sharks. im planing 4-5 discus, 3-4 rams and same with the sharks is this over stocked? if not i would like a big school of tetras or something like them. and what should my pwc be

The only problem might be the Red Tailed Sharks, they often are quite aggressive to their own species and to other species. This could potentially cause stress on your discus, who are in their own right very shy fish. As well, in a 150 Gallon tank, you could even keep a group of 6 or more discus for a truly dazzling show. As well, you could keep a few schools of very bright coloured fish that accent the discus. Rams are always a good choice as they are quite beautiful and peaceful and would do well with Discus.

Check stocking numbers for the Red Tail sharks--I don't remember what it was, but I saw several recommendations for no more than x number of sharks per x number of gallons, and lots of breaks in line of sight (caves/plants) so they can set up territory. Same with multiple male rams, but not as aggressive *lol*

^_^

Red tailed sharks have a rep for being extremely aggressive to their own species. If you house even two they will attack each other until one is dead. IME. I currently have a tank of sharks of various species and have noticed the red tailed shark is THE most aggressive and territorial shark in there. If you're looking at a type of schooling shark that stays relatively small, try checking out the rosaline sharks. I'm not sure how they would fair with discus though. You'd have to look into that too.
Here's a pic of some of mine
Sorry it's blurry they're quick little buggers. Lol

Attachments

• image-3921415471.jpg
    image-3921415471.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 61
well i have to rethink the red tailed. what about rainbows as they not as aggresive (i like shark looking fish (bala and roseline dont look sark enough)).
i know rams are def safe as seen them with discus in my lfs.
but what schools? could i put like 15+ neons and 5+ barbs (unsure which ones)
oh yeah im putting 2 plecos in (bristlenose) so i dont want any more on that

Rainbows are good, so long as they are kept by themselves. When there is only one of them, they very rarely become aggressive to other species. But they cannot stay with other species of sharks or others of their own species as they will kill the other smaller one.

i know i would only be allowed one rainbow i be ok with that. now i just need some schools would the neons and barbs be ok?

Back
Top Bottom