Stocking 130 gal fish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CactusFt

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello i'm new to this website but i'm jumping into my first large tank i will be getting soon. I have no clue where i want to go with this tank i thought about doing a predator tank but that seems overrated. I would like bichirs or catfish as i am a major fan of bottom dwellers. I like geophagus as well although i've never kept them. I think i would like some decent sized fish but if some people could just hit me with what y'all think the best stocking for this tank would be. I am open to anything even planted tanks.

yeah i thought about knife fish but i dont know since i really want bichirs if they would get along

Yes, they are compatible as far as I can find. As long as one isn't like much bigger than the other when you add them.

Ill have to look into that. I am going to my lfs today hopefully to just look around and get some inspo on what fish i want to stock my tank with. Cause i still dont know what i really want.

so i am kind of wanting to do like 1 or two oscars with some bichirs but i dont really know what else to put in the tank

I have a 100 gallon African cichlids tank. If you want an aesthetic look and replicate your tank like saltwater you can go for a couple of frontosas. They are hardy fish and extremely gorgeous specially the blue zaire frontosa. Other kinds like brundi is also very beautiful fish. You can have a rock scape and can house them in your 125 easily.
so i am kind of wanting to do like 1 or two oscars with some bichirs but i dont really know what else to put in the tank

Frontosas and africans ive never been too interested in really. They are all beautiful fish but but i just dont know about it. I am more interested in the larger south american cichlids. I had also thought about doing a huge shell dweller aquarium with the tank though.

Frontosas and africans ive never been too interested in really. They are all beautiful fish but but i just dont know about it. I am more interested in the larger south american cichlids. I had also thought about doing a huge shell dweller aquarium with the tank though.
Then you need some giant oscars if you want large south American cichlids. They grow huge and will look so awesome in your 130. You can keep a mix of Oscars and red blood parrots. Its always fun to feed Oscars. They are greedy.

Or else you can have a tank like nocturnal creatures. Fire eel, black ghost knife, or even a medium size alligator gar. With 130 gallon you have so many choices. You can even house a silver arowana or asian arowana.

If I were you I would be having giant frontosa in my 130 gallon but if I had to go for south American then no question at all. Its gonna be some gorgeous monster size oscars and a vatiety of monster fish food sticks to enjoy feeding them. Good luck.

Thanks for your help i really do need to realize how many options i have with this fishtank. i am stressing so much about stocking for no reason lol. I am probably going to get 2 oscars and a jaguar cichlid (which i know jaguars can be aggressive) some bichirs and maybe some good sized catfish. or ill go different and get some red tail barracuda and build my tank around those.

Thanks for your help i really do need to realize how many options i have with this fishtank. i am stressing so much about stocking for no reason lol. I am probably going to get 2 oscars and a jaguar cichlid (which i know jaguars can be aggressive) some bichirs and maybe some good sized catfish. or ill go different and get some red tail barracuda and build my tank around those.
I understand, its not an easy decision to make. Take your time and get the fish which gives you satisfaction as an owner. Something you see when you wake up and before you go to sleep. Everyone have different tastes so the most important thing for you to house what you love the most. For example I can't stand the sight of birchers. I can't stand looking at a pleco but others love them. I don't like small fish but people love them. So its all subjective. I would prefer oacars in a tank only then adding anything else with them. The giant Oscars looks way to cool to mix with anything. There are albinos as well. A combination of both normal and albino would be a great view.

As I said, you must get fish which gives you feeling of self satisfaction.

Well thank you so much for the help it has really been eye opening. :)

Back
Top Bottom