Stocking a 13g- odd shaped tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gabysapha

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi everyone, Petco had a good deal on a 13g kit so I picked one up. It's dimensions are a little different from what i am used to, it is quite tall like a 20g high but the footprint is narrower than a 10g.

Substrate is dirt capped with black sand with 2 nice arching branches of mopani wood from Petco (great finds in the reptile section!) I'll add a picture soon.
I'll also be purchasing lots of no-fuss low light plants this weekend so I might be PMing some of you sellers on the forum! ;)

Given the height of the tank and the 10-ish gallons of water I have to work with, are there suggestions for stocking? I would prefer the tank to be low maintenance with movement in all three levels of the tank. I considered making this a shrimp tank but my water is soft and acidic and I'm not interested in fiddling with water chemistry to help the shrimp propagate.

I just moved to Boston and I have no space for breeding tanks or buckets, so prolific breeders like Endlers will be avoided.

I have a Petco near me, so I will likely be ordering my fish here or an Aquabid.

Thanks everyone!

What are the exact dimensions? Not a ton of options fauna-wise with that sort of footprint (>10g tank), although I am fond of tall tanks like from a scaping perspective. You could look into nano fish like chili rasboras or ember tetras, and for the bottom perhaps a scarlet badis or two. A hardy shrimp like RCS would likely do ok in this tank too with lots of cover, although some shrimplets will get picked off. Clown killies are one of my favorite nano top dwellers. Here are a few other random fish you could look into:

Betta
Dwarf puffer (species tank)
Sparkling gourami
Pygmy sunfish
Celestial pearl danios
Dwarf emerald rasboras
Amano shrimp

Possibly more depending on the length of your tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The dimensions are about 24in x 17in x 8in. I've never seen a 13g tank before, I was intrigued!

Hi all, I got distracted setting up another tank so I'm back to looking at this one. The LED lights in the hood that came with this tank add very little light. Any thoughts on a 13g blackwater tank with no plants? Or I was thinking of leaving the hood off and mounting a growlight over the entire tank for a riparium.

But I always liked blackwater tanks ;) ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411853517.661140.jpg

Back
Top Bottom