Stocking a 19 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Powelly

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I just purchased a 19 gallon tank and wanted a bit of advice on what to put in it :)

I like: Bettas, Guppies, Molly, Platys, Red-tailed shark, neon tetras, zebra danios, cherry/red shrimp, clown loach and catfish

I'd appreciate a bit of advice on what would work well together and how much fish to put in there.. Also what to introduce first and how soon after cycling!

I'll be using both real and artificial plants and a pump for decoration
Thanks in advance

Loaches and sharks will harase and stress shrimp and tetras

Powelly said:
Hi, I just purchased a 19 gallon tank and wanted a bit of advice on what to put in it :)

I like: Bettas, Guppies, Molly, Platys, Red-tailed shark, neon tetras, zebra danios, cherry/red shrimp, clown loach and catfish

I'd appreciate a bit of advice on what would work well together and how much fish to put in there.. Also what to introduce first and how soon after cycling!

I'll be using both real and artificial plants and a pump for decoration
Thanks in advance

Hi,

Bettas are very iffy in community tanks. You're at risk when you put a betta in, they may love or hate your fish.

Guppies can work. IMO maybe a group of 3-4.

Mollies have HUGE bioloads, I say 20G minimum just for one. What is your filtration?

Red-Tail Shark gets too big and too aggressive for that size tank. IMO minimum is 55-75 G tank, some may even disagree with me on there.

Neons will work, I would do a minimum school of six. The key is to finding some healthy ones, they're very inbred nowadays so they will be quite sensitive. Some members have a hard time keeping them alive.

Is this a 19G long or high? The zebras can go in if it's a long, no if it's a high because it will restrict their activity and swimming.

Cherry shrimp can work.

No clown loaches. It may take awhile but eventually they will grow a foot long.

What kind of catfish?

Hi,

Bettas are very iffy in community tanks. You're at risk when you put a betta in, they may love or hate your fish.

Guppies can work. IMO maybe a group of 3-4.

Mollies have HUGE bioloads, I say 20G minimum just for one. What is your filtration?

Red-Tail Shark gets too big and too aggressive for that size tank. IMO minimum is 55-75 G tank, some may even disagree with me on there.

Neons will work, I would do a minimum school of six. The key is to finding some healthy ones, they're very inbred nowadays so they will be quite sensitive. Some members have a hard time keeping them alive.

Is this a 19G long or high? The zebras can go in if it's a long, no if it's a high because it will restrict their activity and swimming.

Cherry shrimp can work.

No clown loaches. It may take awhile but eventually they will grow a foot long.

What kind of catfish?

Thanks for the quick reply.
I was wondering if a female betta would be ok in a community tank as they are less aggressive than males?

The tank is high

I think the catfish I saw was called a corydoras or something along this lines, it was orange if that helps lol

Can you suggest any other types of fish I could have?

Thanks again

U could have cardinals instead of neons, same colouring but with less hassle.
Try danios, leopards r really cool. Honey gouramis would be good (the peaceful variety of the breed)

Powelly said:
Thanks for the quick reply.
I was wondering if a female betta would be ok in a community tank as they are less aggressive than males?

The tank is high

I think the catfish I saw was called a corydoras or something along this lines, it was orange if that helps lol

Can you suggest any other types of fish I could have?

Thanks again

IME female Bettas work in community tanks. But it's entirely dependent on the Bettas personality.

Then no danios if it's a high. It restricts their swimming space and they won't have enough room.

Cories are excellent choices for community tanks. In a 19G I think panda cories could fit in there quite fine.

Try a honey gourami, a ram/apisto, or-if you're still looking for a danio to fit in the tank-celestial pearl danios.

Back
Top Bottom