Stocking a 240 community

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Red fin loaches or yoyo loaches might be a better option. Clown loaches can be aggressive as they get older

Not a big fan of yoyos and I have never kept red fins. Are they pretty mellow? Do I need to consider room for a group or do they do okay as singles/pairs. Also will they get along with gbr's?

Off the top of my head this is what I would stick it with ( this is without using aqadvisor.com):
30 harlequin rasboras
15 panda cories
8 Denison barbs
8 boesmani rainbows
3 white lyre tail mollies
1 pearl gourami
3 Siamese algae eaters
1 bn pleco
1pair of angelfish
1 pair of bolivian rams

I don't know if my stock is low or high but if it was low I would just up the schools of denisons and rainbows!!! And add a couple more SAE's!!!

I honestly wouldn't do both gouramis and angelfish it's just my opinion every time I have seen that combo it always ends up badly no matter how big the tank is. But you could try if you want. I would up your schools honestly to

12 Denison barbs, 12 rainbows, 20 panda Cory's, and 6 SAE. Then you should be good to go! Sounds like its going to be an awesome tank.

Red fins can be moderately aggressive and yoyos have been pretty mellow both from first hand experience

I have a 220g tank that is 100% planted and this is my stock just to give you an idea...

12 adult Angelfish
25 Cory cats
6 Angelicus loaches
5 Red Lizard loaches
3 Whiptail cats which are in the pleco family
1 Longfin Albino bristlenose pleco
12 Harlequin Rasbora's
12 Purple Harlequin Rasbora's
30 Cardinal Tetra's
30 Rummynose Tetra's
4 Male Betta's
12 Threadfin Rainbowfish (not the same as your larger rainbows)
12 Diamond Tetra's
15 Kerri Tetra's

The tank is active with no aggression problems even from the large angels or bettas. Angelfish always get a bad rap when in fact if you get a groups of at least 6 dime or nickel body sized ones for a larger tank and let them grow up in a tank with smaller fish they don't really cause problems. Guppies work with Angels or another nice option for a larger fish if you don't want to do Angels are Pearl Gourami's. My tank is active and interesting with all levels of the tank having activity.

I've kept gourami's with angels off and on for over 30 years without issue. Pearl, Dwarf, and Honey gourami's are usually great with angels. Some of the other larger gourami's can be hit and miss depending on their individual temperaments.

Last edited:
First of all let me say thank you to everyone. And Rivercats...your tank sounds awesome. The stocking list you shared seems incredible and has given me a few things to think about including the gouramis which I have been thinking about a lot. I know that I still plan on GBR's, but know that I would like a few other larger fish. I am leaning towards a couple pearls at the moment.

So... an update on the tank. I am a member of the dark side and typically fish-in cycle. Shortly after setting up this tank, I added about thirty fish, mostly Harlequins with a few cories and neons. I have to say, this has been the easiest cycle that I have ever gone through. I lost two neons and a cory over the course of six weeks and all of my levels have stabilized...and I never had any spikes that were out of control. Testing everyday and a couple PWC's and I am now cycled...much to my amazement.

Thanks to a Cyber Monday sale after Thanksgiving, I picked up a pair of 36" Satellite Freshwater Plus LED's. One was backorder and should be coming in tomorrow which will be awesome. My wife also ordered me some absolutely gorgeous manzanita driftwood which should be in sometime by the end of the week.

My current stock after adding some roselines a couple days ago is:

20 Harlequin Rasboras
9 Roseline Sharks
12 Salt and Pepper Cories
6 Neon Tetras
8 Red Cherry Shrimp

I have another 3 roselines coming but my LFS that ordered them for me didn't receive his full order. From there, I am trying to make a decision on my guppy breed. Have any of you ordered from ATFG on aquabid? I ask because I found that they have an awesome line of red snakeskins (Picture attached). I have also attached a picture of my tank currently though it wont stay that way for long with the new lights and driftwood coming in. Now...I just have to finalize the stocking plans and I think I will sleep better. It feels like every spare moment is taken up with stocking calculations and compatibility. Thank you all for the input and help, I do appreciate it.

Attachments

• IMG_20131201_143347_693.jpg
    IMG_20131201_143347_693.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 110
  • imagesZQ6OHB55.jpg
    imagesZQ6OHB55.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 138
It sounds like it's going to be a great tank!!!! I wish that I could do something like that!!!(maybe later in life lol) KEEP THE PICS COMING!!!!

BTW those guppies look amazing!!! Hopefully they look like that when you get em.

Here's hoping the guppies look like that. The breeder says 95% match to parents through this strain...of course they make you pay for it though.

I finally got my LED's installed! Loving the light..it was getting depressing looking at a tank this large with a pair of 24" fluorescents that I stole off my old 60 gallon.

Attachments

• IMG_20131218_191055_602.jpg
    IMG_20131218_191055_602.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_20131218_191052_711.jpg
    IMG_20131218_191052_711.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 96
BIG!!! The tank is 78"W x 32"H x 24"D and heavier than...well you get the idea. It took me four guys to move the tank from the back of a truck to its FINAL resting place.

For reference, my son is almost three feet tall. I am six foot and I can not touch the ends finger tip to finger tip while standing next to it.

Attachments

• IMG_20131028_171806_418.jpg
    IMG_20131028_171806_418.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 102
Well...just an update for anyone still following. I am fully cycled and I have about 75% stock. My stocking plans have changed a thousand times but I am getting there. I am currently at:

30 Harlequins
16 Neons
24 Corydoras Hasbrosas
10 Otocinclus
13 Roseline Sharks
and one lonely discus...but he has friends on the way.

I also revamped the entire decoration set up and added a bunch of manzanita driftwood.

IMG_20140114_182242_705.jpg

IMG_20140114_181534_489.jpg

IMG_20140114_181957_198.jpg

IMG_20140114_181824_873.jpg

Back
Top Bottom