Stocking a 29 Gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elaine79

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had my first tank (29 gallons) for about 3 weeks now. It is still cycling with 2 black mollies, but I was hoping to get some advice about the other kinds of fish I would ultimately like to get. I want to make sure that everyone will get along and have enough space. How does this setup sound?

6 Juli Cory Cats
6 Purple emperor Tetras
1 Dwarf Gourami
2 black mollies.

I have tried to pick small fish so I can have a nice variety and keep enough of the schooling fish together.

Any suggestions? Is this the right amount of fish?

Thanks for your help! I really appreciate it. :Fade-color

depending on your dwarf gourami, he may not enjoy the company of the tetras. I had to return my gourami because the hyper active tetras and danios kept him in the bottom right corner of the tank, and he wouldn't eat. I think he was a big wuss though and you may have better luck. Overall, it sounds alright to me. Your cories will stick to the bottom and the rest of the middle and upper area won't be too crowded. Just make sure you keep up with your water changes and gravel vacs. Oh, and add the fish slowly so you don't get a huge spike in ammonia. Maybe three fish every other week once your tank is cylcled? The tetras should go lost in my opinion because they can be more sensative than the rest. And check your water perameters to make sure your tank environment fits the needs of the fish. An example: most cories need a pH of 7.5 or lower. 7.0 would be ideal. Check out www.liveaquaria.com, they have some great stats on fish and what they need. Good luck!

Oh, and welcome to AA!!! :mrgreen:

Elaine79....

Welcome to Aquarium Advice! I don't see anything wrong with the combination of fish you're proposing. One caution, however.....Emperor Tetras (purple or otherwise) can be a bit sensitive to water conditions so you'll want to be sure to keep up with your regular water changes.

It sounds like a good set up, except for the mollies. In my personal experience with mollies is that they are a lot happier and healthier in a brackish environment.

They are extemely prone to fin rot and shimmying without the salt. I know a lot of people have kept mollies in a FW setup, but not without losing several to fin rot. Just something to think about.

Not a bad setup but if it were me I would trade the corys for a pair of Kribs. It is a sight to see them raise their young.
FawnN's avtar is a pic of the female Krib.

Hi,
I would agree that mollies will be healthier with a bit of salt in the water (which the other fish won't like). Could you return the mollies? Or think about adding other fish that will tolerate the salt. (most bottom dwellers and labryinth fish don't qualify)

I fyou decide to go for the gourami, add him BEFORE you add the tetras so as to give him time to "claim" the tank. That should help dissipate any problems once the tetras are added. Good luck!

Usually, you add the most aggressive territorial fish last.
As far as the Mollies go, keep on top of the water conditions and keep an eye on them in FW. I have pics of fish from my brackish tank in my gallery, if you consider going with brackish fish. I had Mollies for awhile, but they are pigs and had to go--the bb gobies weren't getting any food! The most colorful (and fastest fish) in my tank are the Celebes rainbows. I cannot get a pic of them without a blury mess :?

Thanks for all the great advice. My tank is just about cycled now and I think I will get a few fish this week. I can't really take the mollies back, so I will just have to keep an eye on them to make sure that they are doing okay.

:p

Back
Top Bottom